Inside a LSD 0% Diff ???

Bwana

Reaction score
What, exactly, does the term "side loader" refer to? It appears to be a BMW thing unless Google is anticipating my searches

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
What, exactly, does the term "side loader" refer to? It appears to be a BMW thing unless Google is anticipating my searches

The diff "opens" from the side, instead of from the rear.

Sideloader:
IMG_0436.JPG

Regular diffs:
IMG_0437.JPG

Cheers,

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Wladek

Reaction score

gigi

Reaction score
Hello!
I found this in the Metric Mechanic’s catalog:
150115Sanstitre.png

I have taken dimension of this discs when disassembled...
But now I must to found where i wrote this!

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
Believe mine is the 188.
Traveling now, cant verify.

Hi Guys,
maybe somebody know exact size/diameter type of side-loader lsd ? @shanon or @gigi ? You had your's lsd's disassembled.
I need to order friction discs and dog ears, before starting upgrade, but as for now can't disassemble my diff to check needed dimensions.
Is it 168 or 188mm?

Wladek

Reaction score
Want to ask if someone of you Guys might have 1x used, not needed 188mm bmw friction disc that can share or sell? It might be scratched on friction area etc., just need to have pretty good/not destroyed inner mount area (racks), so i can give to local shop as pattern/example, so they can make proper racks cut in my 0% LSD (as you can see on previous photo's - 0% LSD case inside have no racks on friction discs mount area).
Was thinking of purchase complete new set of 188 friction discs and dog ears, but i am not sure if after upgrade thickness of stock 2mm will be 100% good; that's why as for now decided to purchase just one 188 friction disc as for pattern/example to rebuild stock mounts at first step.

Please let me know if someone can help me - of course i will pay all needed costs (for delivery to Poland and other extra costs like part cost).
Thank you

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Wladek Did you ever go forward with the modification of your 0% diff?

I'm asking because the 3,25 diff, which I think is stock to my CSi, has always been making a small "clonk" which has been slightly irritating. However, I just found a 3,45 non-LSD diff in great condition for sale locally that I bought and swapped in my car today. Having this thread in memory, I just had to pop the vent cover on my 3,25 diff once it was out of the car and check what's inside, since the previous owner talked about that it might be an LSD (but no stamped S on the casing and it has always just spun the inside tire)
So, popped the cover and found exactly what you have, LSD with 0% markings. Now I'm of course interested in making a DIY sperre and thought I should ask if you've done anything to yours yet?

Wladek

Reaction score
@Wladek Did you ever go forward with the modification of your 0% diff?

I'm asking because the 3,25 diff, which I think is stock to my CSi, has always been making a small "clonk" which has been slightly irritating. However, I just found a 3,45 non-LSD diff in great condition for sale locally that I bought and swapped in my car today. Having this thread in memory, I just had to pop the vent cover and check what was inside, since the previous owner talked about that it might be an LSD (but no stamped S on the casing and it has always just spun the inside tire)
So, popped the cover and found exactly what you have, LSD with 0% markings. Now I'm of course interested in making a DIY sperre and thought I should ask if you've done anything to yours yet?
Hey Robert,
yes, last year i took the shot & upgraded my diff - now i have "new" 25% lsd, but that was pretty long & expensive road, because 0% LSD doesn't have teeth on the surface for friction discs mount.
I started this rebuild with thinking that it will be pretty easy & inexpensive, at first i purchased the set of dog ears & friction discs to have exact teeth shape pattern.
After that i started to search to the shop to mill that teeth, but due ca. 70HRC it was pretty problematic, i spoked to around 20 or more CNC shops & 99% of them didn't made it, because metal part with such HRC will just ruin "tons" of milling drills/knifes with unknown final result.
I finished with precise electro-milling & just for making the teeth on this two parts i payed ca. 500 EUR, without other parts costs. Before that one local shipyard made HRC test & calculated the cost of work for ca. 800EUR, they just told me that their conventional heavy duty gear shaper will be working for ca. 23 hours & will need around 2-3 special knifes.
20190813_171945 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Robert,
yes, last year i took the shot & upgraded my diff - now i have "new" 25% lsd, but that was pretty long & expensive road, because 0% LSD doesn't have teeth on the surface for friction discs mount.
I started this rebuild with thinking that it will be pretty easy & inexpensive, at first i purchased the set of dog ears & friction discs to have exact teeth shape pattern.
After that i started to search to the shop to mill that teeth, but due ca. 70HRC it was pretty problematic, i spoked to around 20 or more CNC shops & 99% of them didn't made it, because metal part with such HRC will just ruin "tons" of milling drills/knifes with unknown final result.
I finished with precise electro-milling & just for making the teeth on this two parts i payed ca. 500 EUR, without other parts costs. Before that one local shipyard made HRC test & calculated the cost of work for ca. 800EUR, they just told me that their conventional heavy duty gear shaper will be working for ca. 23 hours & will need around 2-3 special knifes.
View attachment 94227

Good to know Wladek, so I should count with 1 - 1,5k€ to do this if I find someone who can mill the teeth.
Still not too bad for an LSD with new internals, first I just have to open up and figure out what's making the "clonk" noise..

Thanks a lot! :)

Wladek

Reaction score
Good to know Wladek, so I should count with 1 - 1,5k€ to do this if I find someone who can mill the teeth.
Still not too bad for an LSD with new internals, first I just have to open up and figure out what's making the "clonk" noise..

Thanks a lot! :)
After all this work i purchased NOS 3.25 open later type side-loader diff (10-bolts crown inside).
Now i am confused wich way to go:
1. 3.45 LSD + Getrag 265 OD 5-speed
2. 3.45 LSD + Getrag 262 4-speed
3. 3.25 Open + Getraag 262 4-speed

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
After all this work i purchased NOS 3.25 Open later type side-loader diff (10-bolts crown inside).
I am confused wich way to go:
1. 3.45 LSD + Getrag 265 OD 5-speed
2. 3.45 LSD + Getrag 262 4-speed
3. 3.25 Open + Getraag 262 4-speed

I recently put in my Getrag 265/6 OD box, and with the 3,25 it feels kind of numb in my opinion, great for highways and speeds around 130-150km/h.
This is actually why I started looking around for other diffs, and happened upon this 3,45 locally.
I only went for a shorter drive today after the swap, but I have to say that the coupe felt much more alive with the 3,45 in the rear, and is still useful on highways.
My vote is definitely Getrag 265/6 OD with LSD 3,45 diff.

EDIT, just want to add that I never liked the Getrag 262 4-speed + 3,25 diff, I was always always moving the shifter trying to put it in fifth gear.
I find myself driving the coupe way more now (with the 5 speed) when it's actually relaxing to drive over 90km/h.

Last edited: