Inside a LSD 0% Diff ???

gigi

Reaction score
Hello every body

It is raining today so I decided to rebuilt my differential.

Good surprise during disassembling, it strongly looks like a LSD !!
63669420170319122053.jpg

But it is inscribed on "S 0" instead of "S 40" like here for exemple.
26727620170319120352b.jpg

I also have a second open differential, which is different.
159331IMG20170322134931.jpg

Do you know what is my "S 0" diff ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have gone deeper in than I have, all the LSD I've seen has been dropped on blotter paper :) (just kidding) let us know what you come up with-

gigi

Reaction score
Today I opened the diff:
84077220170319120904.jpg

93329620170319115832.jpg

It's very looks like a lsd, same carriers with V shapes....

But no friction disk !
26168320170319120935.jpg

And I don't find this kind of diff in the ETK....

Somebody have see this before?

Thanks

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
Looks like a few folks around here were trippin today ;)

Got into my spare, it's a '69, S40 (40%) LSD.

Neat seeing the different bits and variations.

Attachments

• 20170330_171836.jpg
    20170330_171836.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 304
Last edited:

gigi

Reaction score
Looks like a few folks around here were trippin today ;)

Got into my spare, it's a '69, S40 (40%) LSD.

Neat seeing the different bits and variations.

I think this type:
53798433141203790.jpg

And mine is simpler, but i don't understand why carrier with V shape without friction disc....no sense for me...:
57259320170319115822.jpg

PS: Can you sell me your 2 bevel gears please? :p

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Today I received a nice surprise in the form of an sideloader LSD. Markings on mine (inside) are "4061006110 195683 S0" - so probably very similar to @gigi
It is 3.45 (38:11) from 1971, have no markings of lsd from outside (no S (sperre), no E (ersatz)), just a little bit of suspicious white paint on top of the air vent;
Funny thing was when i checked it for the first time (about a year ago) i started rotating it forward and both of the sides rotate in the same direction for the first moments so i thought "jackpot - LSD!", but then it was a moment when one side began to rotate in opposite way, so after that i thought maybe because of dust it was rotating in the same direction just for a moment (keeping in mind that there was no markings of LSD on case); after this i left diff in the garage corner thinking that it's just open-diff.
Today i decided (don't know why) to open top vent (didn't made this before - also don't know why) to confirm that this one is for sure open type diff, but was very positive surprised when saw LSD housing inside.
Maybe someone of you Guys figured out - what "S0" (S ZERO) mean - 0% LSD & that's why there is no friction discs inside? Or maybe someone know another way how to check LSD %?

p.s. Also funny thing if talking of outside LSD markings - on December 2016 i bought diff that has "S" outside, no "E" (separate photo below), but diff inside was open.

DSC03178.JPG
DSC03182.JPG DSC03176.JPG

Attachments

• 100_1564.jpg
    100_1564.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

coupedownunder

Reaction score
The "S" on mine is very feintly stamped into the case , on the same side as the 38/11 eg. 3.45 ratio. The wheels turning in the same direction is NOT a definitive test for these sideloader diffs .. In fact it is very unreliable.. My diff guy says that because the plates are not spring loaded they need torque to be running thru the diff for them to bind properly.. So opening them up is the only real way of being sure as it what you have.

gigi

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Today I received a nice surprise in the form of an sideloader LSD. Markings on mine (inside) are "4061006110 195683 S0" - so probably very similar to @gigi
It is 3.45 (38:11) from 1971, have no markings of lsd from outside (no S (sperre), no E (ersatz)), just a little bit of suspicious white paint on top of the air vent;
Funny thing was when i checked it for the first time (about a year ago) i started rotating it forward and both of the sides rotate in the same direction for the first moments so i thought "jackpot - LSD!", but then it was a moment when one side began to rotate in opposite way, so after that i thought maybe because of dust it was rotating in the same direction just for a moment (keeping in mind that there was no markings of LSD on case); after this i left diff in the garage corner thinking that it's just open-diff.
Today i decided (don't know why) to open top vent (didn't made this before - also don't know why) to confirm that this one is for sure open type diff, but was very positive surprised when saw LSD housing inside.
Maybe someone of you Guys figured out - what "S0" (S ZERO) mean - 0% LSD & that's why there is no friction discs inside? Or maybe someone know another way how to check LSD %?

p.s. Also funny thing if talking of outside LSD markings - on December 2016 i bought diff that has "S" outside, no "E" (separate photo below), but diff inside was open.

Yes it's look like a LSD....but it's only open diff, sorry :-(

I was surprised when I opened mine, good suprise first...but not so good after...

And can you tell me where it come from?

I and really want to know too why "0% LSD" ???

Thanks

Wladek

Reaction score
Thanks for reply!
Yes, i already figured out that this is lsd but open type. The good thing anyway is that this particular type can be modified so it might be normal custom lsd 25-70% sideloader. I will not make this mods right now, but i will give it a try in future (now it's time for body work); as for now i will be just calmly looking for a local workshop, that should be able to make this.
I'm not 100% sure, but i think it is from 3.0CS, i received it as a second / spare diff.
I was thinking - why BMW put lsd housing & didn't put lsd friction discs, dog ear plates etc. just washers? And the only answers i got is:
1. in that particular production moment they didn't have standard open-diff so they put lsd housing & modified it so it was open-diff?
2. diff production year is 1971 - maybe that's how open-diff's technically looked like at early production years?

Last edited:

gigi

Reaction score
Thanks for reply!
Yes, i already figured out that this is lsd but open type. The good thing anyway is that this particular type can be modified

Yes but I think it's not so easy....because bevel gear don't have grooves for inner discs!
And it's very very expensive to machining grooves in a workshop...

I'm not 100% sure, but i think it is from 3.0CS, i received it as a second / spare diff.
I was thinking - why BMW put lsd housing & didn't put lsd friction discs, dog ear plates etc. just washers? And the only answers i got is:
1. in that particular production moment they didn't have standard open-diff so they put lsd housing & modified it so it was open-diff?
2. diff production year is 1971 - maybe that's how open-diff's technically looked like at early production years?

Maybe....but why we don't find this particular diff on realoem or mobile tradition?

Wladek

Reaction score
When i was saying looking for local workshop i meant - company that will made this grooves and maybe custom spacer plates.
I suspected that this not cheap operation, but i think cost should be around 100 EUR for both (here in Poland), so after adding cost of purchase 2x friction plates and 2x dog ear plates about 100 EUR + if needed custom spacer plates about 50 EUR - LSD upgrade should cost around 250 EUR. I think this is not so bad for LSD with new components inside, because used LSD for about 500 EUR might also need repair.

Also don't know why there is no this type of diff at BMW parts catalogues.

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
maybe somebody know exact size/diameter type of side-loader lsd ? @shanon or @gigi ? You had your's lsd's disassembled.
I need to order friction discs and dog ears, before starting upgrade, but as for now can't disassemble my diff to check needed dimensions.
Is it 168 or 188mm?