E9 new toolboxes available from BMW

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good news! All the usual suspects seem to have them in stock...

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The original design is suboptimal so are these any different or will they suffer the same fate?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The original design is suboptimal so are these any different or will they suffer the same fate?
I read that the plastic used is totally different, so it should not break due to brittleness. I have using the new one with all the tools inside for a few years and so far no issues.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have one of the new styles also. No problems.

I think that the tool tray and set of tools in our E3/E9s is a signature part of the car. It is one of those items that demonstrates how much BMW was paying attention to the details. I don't know of any other mass produced car that was doing something similar. Such a "finished" way of supplying tools and spares. A far cry from a tool roll thrown into the trunk.

img_7009_51660838652_o copy.jpg

Reaction score
Just a heads-up for everyone. I just got a call from my dealership that the E9 toolbox I ordered over 2 years ago came in. Backorders have been fulfilled.
Maybe call your dealership to ask for availability.
Wow, great news! Just ordered 1. I feel sorry for the person who paid $3k for the one on eBay:oops:

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
C
The later 3.0Si and e12 boxes do not have allen wrenches so you need the 74 and on with allens.
Chris, are you saying the tool box Dick is recommending is not the same as the tool box in the 74 model?

From the schematic that box seems to have the allen wrenches ...