Carpet Followup

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tom

If you follow the thread these things are being discussed. Beauty is this is completely elective. You don't have to purchase if it doesn't meet your standards. We are not going to meet your price point in any case so maybe it won't be an issue.

John

+1
i would not have expressed better :smile:

m73

Reaction score
I think what you guys are doing is great. Although by the time I get around to fixing the odds and ends on my coupe, many parts will probably be NLA. I look forward to seeing a set installed.

MF

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
I just found some discussions of these items in the Parts section, but nothing concrete. What is the latest status on this? I haven't seen much discussion here unless it is being discussed in a new location. It just would seem that if people are putting in all this time and effort and having a custom run/ order to get the carpet color right, that they would also be interested in the other parts that are at least equally important in making a carpet kit.
binding should not be a problem, I can send them NOS binding...as far as the rubber pads, I doubt seriously that they can match them perfectly....my guess is that this project is to make something that is as close to the original as possible.....and there aren't any carpets out there that I know of that are at this point anywhere close to original. You could also buy German square weave, spend a couple of thousand bucks on something nice that doesn't look original, so the price doesn't seem out of line to me....

IMHO, when you look at the things that people do to their cars that changes them from original equipment, and admittedly I am a hard core originality guy, then as good as it can get is the best anyone can hope for....and that is also why God invented Coco Mats. And BMW owners are more prone to make changes than other marks....which does bode well over the long haul for those who seek originality....

How many cars have speakers that destroy door panels? Rear panels? M5 engines, etc.....there is nothing wrong with that, but car collectors that collect original cars are not going to whine about a carpet that isn't absolutely exact.....and to repeat, if any of you want original blue insert material for your seats I would get it now, when the last 30 or so meters are gone, we will be repeating this conversation from our wheelchairs.

Tom P

Reaction score
Blue Grey Carpet

Hi there...

Little late to the party but I'd like to add my request for the blue/grey carpet kit with trunk piece. Not sure where this stands and hopefully not too late but kudo's to those running point on this one!

FYI, my original has dark grey binding, foot pad and side pad - I'd prefer the dark grey look to match original if possible but open to ideas.

Thanks!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
of course it is alive and kicking

partly my fault, cos the three of us involved in this long task are pretty much overwhelmed with other duties

yes, there is a sample of correct matching colour textile that we have checked, and it will be soon a preproduction sample

stay tuned because we will need to confirm the list

regards

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Carpet Update 27 November

Believe it or not, the effort to have the blue / gray carpet reproduced is moving ahead. And although it may seem like it has dropped off the face of the earth the schedule for production is as detailed when this effort began.

As a reminder...as a very low production run the carpet producers will only entertain production in the off season...which is now.

Klaus at Cabrio has contacted us and a test run of the carpet is in production. He expects to see the sample before the Xmas holidays. When he receives the carpet he will distribute samples to Rob, DeQuincy and me for review.

We will post pictures etc. upon receipt and give you all our opinion on the match.

As to binding and heal pads...we have been discussing these with Klaus and we are confident we can get a close reproduction, however the potential for an exact match would be cost prohibitive requiring special vinyl runs and new tooling.

When we have reviewed and approved the samples it will be time to reconfirm all who are interested.

Thinking this will be my Xmas present!

John

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
discussions and questions please here

anyone tempted to discuss about the carpet run, may find here a nice place to ask or to propose

some people have recently realized the effort to bring back to life this particular colour, navy blue, and are asking questions

why is only this colour ? why is splitted carpet ?

and so on

feel free to ask here, an we will try to answer, but leave the thread in the parts section to confirm the list, otherwise i will be unable to organize the confirmation properly

thanks for your understanding

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
deQ,

Not for me, but do owners with a `74 US coupe get the `73 and earlier trunk carpet? The large braces in a US 74 I think make it narrower, not sure but thought you may want to check. It is easy to remove binding and trim it then re-sew, plenty of binding there to do this I think.

Chris

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris

Good question and I am not sure we have fully addressed all permutations at this point. From earlier conversations with Klaus his interest seems to be primarily in using the carpet run and make / model can vary. Assume he will use his standard templates so if those are currently available on his website they should be available to us.

John

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
important QUESTION

way are all these sets done in pieces
since im not that familiar with all the models
i have seen numerous pics of the interiors and all seem to be in pieces.
my usa 74 HAS A ONE PIECE carpet
why dont you offer to do that and save tons of time and money putting all those
stupid seams and edges.
i will send a pic and a pattern with the exact dimensions of the oem unit
with the exact same blue weave
then you might consider making one of those
if the stock is not 5 feet wide seam it at the floor tunnel
joint where you wouldnt even see it
ill do this tomorrow

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
way are all these sets done in pieces
since im not that familiar with all the models
i have seen numerous pics of the interiors and all seem to be in pieces.
my usa 74 HAS A ONE PIECE carpet
why dont you offer to do that and save tons of time and money putting all those
stupid seams and edges.
i will send a pic and a pattern with the exact dimensions of the oem unit
with the exact same blue weave
then you might consider making one of those
if the stock is not 5 feet wide seam it at the floor tunnel
joint where you wouldnt even see it
ill do this tomorrow
probably because the great majority of cars (if not all) originally came with the sectioned installation ... and this idea is about originality, or as close as it can be. are you sure that your 1 piece carpet is original? so what seems stupid to you ...

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
one piece

yae that makes since heres a pic of the one piece
i am doin a drawing of the dimensions to add here if someone needs it

Attachments

• IMG_8239_new.jpg
    IMG_8239_new.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8238_new.jpg
    IMG_8238_new.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8240_new.jpg
    IMG_8240_new.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8241_new.jpg
    IMG_8241_new.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8242_new.jpg
    IMG_8242_new.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 117

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
will it be possible the get the one piece unit
that would be great
thnaks

i have the suspicion that what you have is not original, i have never seen such a thing, no side binding, odd heel pad,... i guess you had it placed by someone during the life of your car

but anyway, it is not possible to get that one piece carpet from klaus, he simply does not have the tools needed for that

that sort of one piece needs a huge tool to conform the carpet, with pressure and heat

so simply, NO ! it is not possible to produce it within our run

BTW, moreover, if someone does it i am simply NOT interested

remark, be kind, please keep your comments in this thread, you do not need to place multiple posts in different areas of the forum in order to get more attention

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
molded carpets were done to safe $$

Most BMW's (all?) got premolded carpet sets in 1974. These were probably a tremendous cost savings because they reduced the number of parts and labor to produce the parts. I'm sure installation was quicker too. Plus, it's one piece design keeps debris out from underneath.

But, I prefer the multi-piece from 73 and earlier and that's one reason I'm in line on this group buy. I think the time/effort and workmanship that goes into a multi-piece set make them nicer on a restored car. I have an impression that the early carpets were of better quality material too (weren't the early 2800 carpets wool?).

The original carpet in my E9 is in very good condition, but I like the look and the workmanship in the multi piece. Also, I'm reverting my trunk to a pre-74 configuration (bumper conversion done, side triangulation panels go next).

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
to tom collit

That WAS quite a misunderstanding. I don't know who made the list and you didn't mention me on the list of the people who hadn't responded, nor did I get any answers to many of my questions about what we were going to commit to. You can see that I posted many times on the thread with constructive feedback, but I can't remember you asking me to re-confirm or answering me about my "ifs"... That might explain why you only have 22 confirmations when it seemed like there were many more parties who had expressed their interest. I am happy to pick up the conversation where it ended a few months ago. I was interested in the carpet kits in blue without the trunk mats, but I'm not sure what complete or interior refers to. How likely is the production to be in March and when would the carpets likely be shipped out? Since you read all the posts carefully, I had also asked about the color of the binding and did you ever get a color sample of the carpet and heel pad? Is there also a toe pad on the center tunnel piece? Do you think I am being unreasonable by participating in such a collaborative way and by asking all these questions if I were interested in several sets? I hope these questions do not disqualify me again ;-)

Regards, Tom

Tom, i made the list, based in people that had firmly said a yes, i didn't consider you as your position was unclear, but anyway i have asked everyone to reconfirm, see post #138 and on in the confirmation thread in the parts section, so you have had the chance to do so

we have answered to questions up to what we were able to, we are not producing the carpets, just helping this to become real, otherwise Klaus will not make the colour run

there are limitations on what we will be able to have, it is not a taylor-made run, klaus is ready to make the best possible run, but won't admit what he is not able to make, as modify the shape of his toe pads, he clearly told me that he can turn the carpet to black colour and use it fir other customers,...if we pull the rope too much,...

those details are not fixed yet, we have asked for grey binding as it seems to be the majority of the original carpets that have survived, as to heel pads not yet fully detailed, but there will be for sure two pads, heel and toe, size and pattern not fully defined yet

as it is now only a confirmation list and no money has been asked yet

before asking for a deposit, we will detail the price, binding and pads

BTW, in my humble opinion, you have been very constructive, very,...but you have not confirmed yet,

if you want to confirm, just tell me what and how many, and i will be happy to add you to the list ;-), in the following thread

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=127368

Last edited:

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging answers. I am glad that our collective input was put to good use and I will confirm to buy between 1 and three sets. Some of that depends on whether we can get the sets in March, prices, etc. Also, I can confirm again that in 25 years of working on many e9, I haven't seen an original Blue carpet set that didn't have medium to dark grey binding and the same for the heel and toe pads.

Best, Tom

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Tom

Binding is proposed as gray which is very close in color to the original sample sent. Heal pads...will work to get in gray.

So that said, we have been working on all this from the onset, although the resolution of issues have been tiered as we work first through the more difficult part...carpet production. Your input is appreciated. Intent has always been to get as close a match as practical.

The process is moving along and we will inform everyone as we get further information.

As to price. As said before the prices will likely be similar to Cabrio's web site for an E9 two tone loop. May do better but will be in that range.

And as deQuincey noted production is currently hoped to be sometime in March.

Getting close.

John