Carpet Followup

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Slow but steady wins the race!

Latest from Cabrio. Slow progress ...it will obviously take patience to make this happen. Color samples are forthcoming...first step to duplicating original weave.

I was trying to push for early committment by deposit for those interested but Klaus is looks to not want to go this way. May need a bag carrier. Any hands???

JB

email below:

Dear John,

thank you for your mail.

Nice to hear that you increased number of orders.

I was promised, to receive small dyed "prototype" fibre samples from the test production department. As I not yet have anything to show in my hands, I do not want to collect any deposits yet. Generally we can not keep 22 or more potential customers informed, especially after they have paid a deposit and maybe became impatient regarding delivery. So the way can only be that we can show first samples. You or somebody else will collect the deposits and send then to us, all kinds of direct contacts would cost us too much time for activities for individual customer assistance.

I will keep you informed as soon as news will be available.

Best regards
Klaus

Klaus Hermann Mayer
Kraftfahrzeugtechnik GmbH
Berkheimer Str. 10-12
73734 Esslingen

Tel. 0049-(0)711/3579000
Fax 0049-(0)711/35790014
www.cabrio.de
HRB Esslingen 211947, Geschäftsführer Klaus H. Mayer, Ust-Id-Nr. DE145350058

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks for your efforts, john
it is good that you use your time to keep this going on, it is excellent to have you there, thank you very much

i knew that klaus was not going to be dealing with us individually for the case of this group buy, it is reasonable
yes we must think on a "bag carrier" as you said, i think it will make the compromise strong and help us to create the group itself

it makes sense too, as the deal is such a long time ahead, to wait a bit for the samples and as soon as we can check them make the first payment

any other thoughts ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
a recurrent question

hi it is not the first time i receive a similar PM/question as the following

Any idea on eta for the carpet? I signed up but had not heard. Trying to finish my car. Thanks

IMHO probably is due to not reading the post completely, so i post here an answer

hi, there are two threads about this, the parts section thread is only about adding to the list of interested people

you sholud follow the information that is regularly posted in the thread on the general questions section, the information is on the thread, price and timing too, read it carefully

please remember that we are trying to build this and make it happen for the forum members,

the deal is not yet defined, it needs to launch a complete run of this exact matching carpet, that has been no longer available for decades

if you read carefully you will see that we have managed to find a original non molested sample to build the carpet again, generously provided by gernstetter

so this is NoT something you are going to find on the shelf, and it is requiring a complex and probably long process

please comment in the same post of the general question section...

regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
news on spreading the call and possible new people interested

hi,

I contacted the responsible of the bmw coupe-club in germany, he will inform in the next newsletter of our proposal to produce a new run of the original navy carpet,
probably this will complete the number of cars needed:D

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
german help

hi,

we need someone that is able to help building an explanation of what we intend to do and write it in german

we must give those guys in the german e9 forum a clear idea of what we intend to do

anyone ?

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
deQuincey

Well done. Thinking the German club knows Cabrio well and can help facilitate (speed up!) this project moving forward. And the importance of a good translation can not be underestimated.

John

Gernstetter

Reaction score
updates anyone ?

I talked to them at length about the carpet...they don't seem as anal retentive as we are...they kept talking about the 80% stuff they have a supplier for....but will join their club and try to go to their spring meet....you never know....for sure from their club member car at the show...they aren't as particular as we are for sure.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Left update in Parts section. Progress..... Rob / Jesus seeing the sample will be important. Either of you going to be in the neighborhood anytime soon?

John

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
I see that there is some progress, but really nothing about the actual product. I'm guessing they can get the raw carpet material quite close, but what good is all this if we don;t know whether they can have the two vinyl scuff pads made, as well as the correct color binding. I hate to be the one who keeps bringing this up, but it seems like no one else is thinking about this. If this is already in the works, I apologize. I can also talk to Mayer directly, if I am asked to do so. If I can get the sets shipped to L.A. for say $350, I might even buy 5 or more sets. I'd even buy just the raw material. We all know that what kills the price is the high German labor costs and the shipping charges.

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Another important issue is the carpet backing. In the eighties, I was still buying this carpet by the meter from BMW, but it already had a different backing than the original carpet, which was very rigid and not really ideal for use on some of the carpet pieces. This is something to discuss with KHM, especially if he is a Coupe guy too....

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see that there is some progress, but really nothing about the actual product. I'm guessing they can get the raw carpet material quite close, but what good is all this if we don;t know whether they can have the two vinyl scuff pads made, as well as the correct color binding. I hate to be the one who keeps bringing this up, but it seems like no one else is thinking about this. If this is already in the works, I apologize. I can also talk to Mayer directly, if I am asked to do so. If I can get the sets shipped to L.A. for say $350, I might even buy 5 or more sets. I'd even buy just the raw material. We all know that what kills the price is the high German labor costs and the shipping charges.

Tom

If you follow the thread these things are being discussed. Beauty is this is completely elective. You don't have to purchase if it doesn't meet your standards. We are not going to meet your price point in any case so maybe it won't be an issue.

John

Gernstetter

Reaction score
binding should not be a problem, I can send them NOS binding...as far as the rubber pads, I doubt seriously that they can match them perfectly....my guess is that this project is to make something that is as close to the original as possible.....and there aren't any carpets out there that I know of that are at this point anywhere close to original. You could also buy German square weave, spend a couple of thousand bucks on something nice that doesn't look original, so the price doesn't seem out of line to me....

IMHO, when you look at the things that people do to their cars that changes them from original equipment, and admittedly I am a hard core originality guy, then as good as it can get is the best anyone can hope for....and that is also why God invented Coco Mats. And BMW owners are more prone to make changes than other marks....which does bode well over the long haul for those who seek originality....

How many cars have speakers that destroy door panels? Rear panels? M5 engines, etc.....there is nothing wrong with that, but car collectors that collect original cars are not going to whine about a carpet that isn't absolutely exact.....and to repeat, if any of you want original blue insert material for your seats I would get it now, when the last 30 or so meters are gone, we will be repeating this conversation from our wheelchairs.