Bmw classic certificate

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think having a picture of a car verifies that you own it. ;)

It cost $500. It is done at a dealer. They document what engine or trans is in the car now. They will state if they are matching or mismatched. They will not provide the engine and trans numbers if they are mismatched.

They do provide much more data about the car than BMW provides. I'll bet there are many E9 (and other rare BMW) owners that would be glad to pay $500 for the type of information Porsche provides.

Yes, definitely. Now that I think about it, I had to show pics of the title, id and photos of the engine/chassis. It was about 18 months ago...

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
Was looking into these and seems as though the certificate has evolved to a digital certificate which they now email to you… for an increased fee of course

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
What would be next step from BMW? The certificate would force all to be in Munich with the car and move on with the restoration at place?

or BMW Bank credit card with the certificate on it ;-)

Christoph

Reaction score
BMW Group Classic are short of staff for quite some time. One of the consequences was they dropped the printed car certificates because they were too time consuming. So they told me, and I believe they told the truth. Everyone can still get e-mails with (for E3 and E9) the same information as in the printed certificate. Only thing is the printed version looks better in a frame on the wall.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I feel I just read where someone could not get a reply to the email, and ended up ordering the paper certificate instead. Their assumption was that, since you pay for the certificate, the free emails were not being responded to. I don't have direct experience with this - I have always received a reply through the email. But I do know the email address changed recently. You need to send the message to the correct address.

Christoph

Reaction score
But I do know the email address changed recently. You need to send the message to the correct address.
This is interesting. I use the same address for ages and it still works fine. In April the BMW Group Archiv people were on both fairs, we talked a lot, but no one mentioned a change of contact data. Do you have to use a different address if you are writing from the other side of the ocean? I don't think so. No offense, by the way.

There are times when answers take very long, that much is true. Please let me repeat BMW Group Archiv personnel has been reduced quite a bit. One single gentleman now gets all questions about VIN and originality of cars from all over the globe. Some are easy, some are delicate, e.g. CSL and the likes. Apart from that, VIN questions are only one part of his job amongst several others. I don't work at the archive but I like the people there. Please be gentle and patient with them.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are times when answers take very long, that much is true. Please let me repeat BMW Group Archiv personnel has been reduced quite a bit. One single gentleman now gets all questions about VIN and originality of cars from all over the globe. Some are easy, some are delicate, e.g. CSL and the likes. Apart from that, VIN questions are only one part of his job amongst several others. I don't work at the archive but I like the people there. Please be gentle and patient with them.
Do they respond just to 70s and 80s Classics or to newer models? Newer would entail many more requests.
I visualize the archivists as patient people drinking tea at work (because if they had coffee they could not sleep at their desks :)).

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is interesting. I use the same address for ages and it still works fine. In April the BMW Group Archiv people were on both fairs, we talked a lot, but no one mentioned a change of contact data. Do you have to use a different address if you are writing from the other side of the ocean? I don't think so. No offense, by the way.

Hi Christoph,
No offense taken. I do not know if there are different contacts for Europe versus the rest of the world. But here in the states, the email address that we used to use was: [email protected]

However, the archive group replied a few years ago stating not to use that address anymore as they did not have the staff to respond, and instead to use this new address: [email protected]

Several years ago, when I used the grouparchiv address, I would always get a reply from Julia Oberndörfer.

More recenlty, while using the new hdz address, the replies would come from Andreas Harz or Ingrid Mühlbauer. At least that has been my experience.

Whom did you speak with at the fairs? What address do you use, and how long ago?