Bmw classic certificate

m73

Reaction score
Car/owner verification = good thing

I am surprised these beautiful companies don't hire out just 'one' dude to go and visit every chassis and verify the details....

The cost would be on the companies neck, but Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW etc... With such rich histories....

One would think they owe us (loyal fans) the satisfaction of truth instead of back-alley falsification conversations... My .02 cents

MF

Last edited:

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andreas is the "Expert" who provides the service free of charge.

Andreas will probably be the one reviewing my pictures in the end... consider my fee as payment for all the free ones he's run for you, me and everyone else here.

m73

Reaction score
On another note...I visited the BMW museum many years ago and when asked about their 'special motor sports' museum, I got shifty eyes and terse responses of 'no'....

Me being adiment argued for 10 minutes before realizing I would need to show an American Express card to get past this 'ambassador' of the brand....I also realized that those cars where at that time hiding in some secret basement so it was a lost cause....

MF

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andreas will probably be the one reviewing my pictures in the end... consider my fee as payment for all the free ones he's run for you, me and everyone else here.

Andreas is the "Milk" we get for free so why buy the "Cow".

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, I filled out the application and sent it in via email. I Received a prompt reply requesting supporting photos and proof of ownership (vin and engine # shots and title or Bill of Sale) that will then be forwarded to "the experts" for review because; "For the BMW 3.0 CSL we are somewhat restrictive with information, because these cars are often subject of falsification".

This is a little different than the P-car COA process and actually makes some sense since they're associating the car to a person with this document.

I've sent them lots of proof so we'll see what happens next.

Is this application available from BMW Archives? Thanks.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I did receive confirmation that my "documentation" was in good order and approved... by none other than our friend Andreas.

Zibsnis

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 2 cents here - I also ordered this certificate and just recently received it. Please take a look on what you will get for 2-sided one. Looks much more detailed in comparison to what you get for 1-side copy. Still, that could depend on the market - mine one is ECE.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 285

peterkaczynski

Reaction score
My 2 cents here - I also ordered this certificate and just recently received it. Please take a look on what you will get for 2-sided one. Looks much more detailed in comparison to what you get for 1-side copy. Still, that could depend on the market - mine one is ECE.

nice what did this cost?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Page 3 is just factory specs, nothing unique, you got the receiving dealer which is nice and something we don't get in the US.

saman

Reaction score
Hi guys,
can anyone tell me to what email address or .. we have to write to get the certificates?
many thanks in advance.
saman

RayK

Reaction score
I appreciate this thread. I'm going to order one for my car, but not for the reasons listed above. CA DMV - I had the car inspected, at the DMV office (which is an ordeal all in itself) for a title change to my name at time of purchase. Since the car was out of the CA system, the condition of the car was poor, not running, they took exception. Even though I showed and located all vin numbers for the car for them during inspection, they would not accept it. My title came back with the correct VIN number but with a twist -its titled as a 2011 E9! I'll place money that I have the only 2011 E9 in the registry. Needless to say, they told me to come back for inspection with factory documentation that the car is a 1974! I'm still pissed about it..but at least its in my name and a COA from BMW should do the trick.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't think BMW does the printed COA anymore (I could be wrong...it's happened before ;) ). What they do do is to send you an email with the same minimal information about your car. I got mine 2 days after I requested it.

IMG_5310.jpeg

You might also show them that the serial number is in the correct range for the year...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Ray - It may be that the issue arises from the change to 17 digit VINs in the early 1980s. Our cars were built before the mandate for the 17 digit VIN, and when the mandate was implemented new VINs were assigned without regard to previously issued VINs. In other words, there was no prohibition on issuing a 17 digit VIN with a last seven that corresponds to a previously issued 7 digit VINs. When the parts guy at the BMW dealer insists on getting the last seven of my VIN before selling me a part, my car comes up in their system as a 1983 Euro 323i.

xjan99

Reaction score
So there is actually no way to find out for instance what the car interior materials were, what other extras did it have etc when it first rolled out of the factory for our cars :( ?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Whether certificate or email, it won’t list model year. You need the DOT/EPA sticker which shows it was designed to meet the 74 requirements. These are easy to make.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Ray - It may be that the issue arises from the change to 17 digit VINs in the early 1980s. Our cars were built before the mandate for the 17 digit VIN, and when the mandate was implemented new VINs were assigned without regard to previously issued VINs. In other words, there was no prohibition on issuing a 17 digit VIN with a last seven that corresponds to a previously issued 7 digit VINs. When the parts guy at the BMW dealer insists on getting the last seven of my VIN before selling me a part, my car comes up in their system as a 1983 Euro 323i.

There must be something else in the works. The MODEL YEAR is in the 8th position from the right of the modern VIN that was introduced in 1980 and it is a letter not a number (at least through 2030). I believe all E9s have a 7 digit VIN and it is all numbers.

It would be interesting to see how that dealer and the DMV are picking up the YOM from the E9 VIN.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yea, the lack of any option information is pretty disappointing. The COA from Porsche isn't cheap but at least you get details on every option the car rolled out of the factory with, which has a pretty substantial impact on the value of the car. A pair of Sport seats for an early longhood sell for 8-10k alone. Trim levels and wheel options quickly set special cars apart. Paint to Sample is a whole other level.

There weren't nearly the number of options on coupes but it would be great to have the really really on how the cars rolled out of the factory. Especially with the lightweight cars.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The COA from Porsche isn't cheap but at least you get details on every option the car rolled out of the factory with,

I believe the Porsche COA no longer lists the engine and transmission numbers. Too many people were using the COA to restamp these pieces and selling the cars for more money than they were actually worth. You can tell Porsche the engine and transmission numbers you have in your car and they will let you know if those were the original numbers.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe the Porsche COA no longer lists the engine and transmission numbers. Too many people were using the COA to restamp these pieces and selling the cars for more money than they were actually worth. You can tell Porsche the engine and transmission numbers you have in your car and they will let you know if those were the original numbers.

There are 2 certificates now, the more expensive showing the numbers I believe but you do have to send them pictures verifying you have the car and engine.

It's really the options details that set it apart from what BMW does (as a result of not keeping records, I suppose). That would really be valuable to authenticating an "L".

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There are 2 certificates now, the more expensive showing the numbers I believe but you do have to send them pictures verifying you have the car and engine.
I don't think having a picture of a car verifies that you own it. ;)

It cost $500. It is done at a dealer. They document what engine or trans is in the car now. They will state if they are matching or mismatched. They will not provide the engine and trans numbers if they are mismatched.

They do provide much more data about the car than BMW provides. I'll bet there are many E9 (and other rare BMW) owners that would be glad to pay $500 for the type of information Porsche provides.