best method to remove engine and tran

charofire

Reaction score
I wanted to ask all you seasoned vets as I am helping my buddy on his coupe: what is the most efficient (i.e. least amount of time) to remove engine transmission?
I imagine 2 methods:
a) remove front subframe and drop engine and tranny as one unit. this would require the coupe to be fairly high off the ground.
b) remove engine and tranny separately

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This was recommended to me and will be the approach I use:

I will remove tranny, drive shaft, exhaust. Remove passenger wheel, lower car so only cherry picker can roll under passenger side of chassis, leave hood on, remove radiator, lift engine with bell housing out on that side. You can leave PS pump and AC in car if needed.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you don't have a lift then option (a) is not really viable. S that leaves only (b). I have pulled my engine out the top with the hood still on. It is a tight fit and the engine needs to be angled up quite a bit. Definitely tape cardboard (or some protection) to the underside of the hood. And as Chris mentions, pull the radiator, front fan and also remove the clutch plate and flywheel before lifting the engine.

Swobber

Reaction score
As i have a 2 poster lift, i installed the engine with subframe.
I simply put it on a rolling table and lowered the car onto the subframe - took about 10 minutes to do.

Will have to update the project thread ...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At Coupeking engines leave and go back in from the bottom.

At my shop they go through the top.
Hoods only come off if the engine bay is getting painted.
Radiator out, tranny, clutch and flywheel off.
There are only 8 bolts to a tranny bell housing - it's not that tough.

At the boneyard- hood off, tranny and engine come out the top as one.