BAT: Euro 1971 BMW 3.0CSi 4-Speed

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In the BaT comments, KevinH talks about his E9 having a ZF 4 speed with a notchy feel to it. Was this the OEM transmission?

Yes - it was (for my 1970 2800CS). It leaked like an SOB, but felt great in using. It had some synchro issues and if I kept it installed, would have had to had it looked at, but... with the 5 speed already in hand... Figured that would be good to do.

BavHyena

Reaction score
some of this car is so good and some is so hard to look at. Was this a test to see how much you could do wrong per square inch?

View attachment 166713
Ooh I like this game: So the thermostat housing should be replaced with the proper part not requiring pipe plugs. The nuts should have lock washers? Hose clamps too short? Oriented the wrong way?

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ooh I like this game: So the thermostat housing should be replaced with the proper part not requiring pipe plugs. The nuts should have lock washers? Hose clamps too short? Oriented the wrong way?
It's not that much more effort to do things correctly, especially when you are trying to achieve a high sale price. Putting a bolt on a vacuum line to block a port is not a proper solution. Put a vacuum cap on it.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
For my education, what would be the reason for installing these 2 blank rubber hoses ?

Screen Shot 2023-08-12 at 10.20.06 am.png

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seller has posted photos of those being fixed (different thermostat housing and throttle body). Looks like they pay attention to the criticism by experts so that bodes well.

I was curious what would have required that modification to the throttle body with such a large tube to begin with.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The seller has posted photos of those being fixed (different thermostat housing and throttle body). Looks like they pay attention to the criticism by experts so that bodes well.

I was curious what would have required that modification to the throttle body with such a large tube to begin with.
If you suspect a vacuum leak you squeeze each tube, and if the engine runs better that was the leak.
You heard it here first (and last).