72 Restomod clubracer build

bdigel

Reaction score
breaking will be awesome, but I recon it will pull to the right :)

Its a special Nascar set up ! good one guys !

some more bling from last weeks work .

017.JPG

driver side close up of engine from underneath

018.JPG

nearly completed exhaust , I just love the detail of the rocker cutout to raise the exhaust off the ground .

019.JPG

rear suspension assembled

021.JPG

020.JPG

and engine bling shots in freshly painted engine bay

bdigel

Reaction score
The big project this weekend was to reseal the "Bulkhead " or put a "firewall in between the trunk and the interior of the car. Basically replace the panel I cut out a year ago to aid in the roll cage fab

007.JPG

002.JPG

with the roll cage in the way , we decided to relocate the panel a few inches back . the bars were too big of an obstacle to put the panel in the original location . more importantly it would have covered up the access to the top bolts on the rear shock's .

005.JPG

Steven works on trimming the new panels to fit

006.JPG

new panels taking shape

001.JPG

painting the new bulk head

003.JPG

004.JPG

I think Im going to keep the trunk side bare

010.JPG

I think with the Aluminum fuel cell it will be a nice touch ??

011.JPG

012.JPG

stphers

Reaction score
Coupe

WOW!!! I think I just had a sexual experience when I just saw the last pictures of the build. I wish I was so much closer so I could go and see this work of art in person. I absolutely love the detail, it is all the little things that make this build so bloody good

Great job to all involved, everyone should be very, very proud of this car.

Can't wait to see more stuff

Thanks, Rick

bdigel

Reaction score
So I've been wresting with what to do about an airbox, the stock S38B36 airbox is great for the street . It has a vario length runner deal that helps boost low end torque , but comps high end power , acts like a muffler Im told .
Its also kinda heavy , since this is a full race car and really wont see lower RPM, the low end power loss doesn't bother me . I looked into modding the stock piece , looked into modding an early airbox, looked into getting a box made of aluminum, and several other options , but finally decided to get a custom carbon box made !

here is a sneek peak of what's to come, the mold is taking shape , and getting test fit in to the car

001.JPG

002.JPG

Its MASSIVE , a lot of trimming had to be done, and several things had to be relocated , Im really excited about this piece ,

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
B.

When David Daniels was running his M5 at the track he had a massive air box made of carbon fiber. You remember that beast?
Ed S. claimed they picked up 25 hp or more with just that?
I may have some photos of the engine somewhere if you want to see them.
Gary

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brendan,

what about a carbon fiber box? there is a guy named Markus in Germany that has made some cool boxes for e30 m3 - s14 ... and for s14's put into 2002. i wouldn't be surprised if they have made some good intake boxes for the s38. looking forward to seeing the car in the near future

scott

bdigel

Reaction score
Brendan,

what about a carbon fiber box? there is a guy named Markus in Germany that has made some cool boxes for e30 m3 - s14 ... and for s14's put into 2002. i wouldn't be surprised if they have made some good intake boxes for the s38. looking forward to seeing the car in the near future

scott

We are making a carbon box , the piece you see above is the mold . Decided to make one instead of buying one to ensure it fit , and would work for what Im trying to accomplish.

I am good friends with David Daniels and am quite familiar with his M5 Sled, I have consulted with him a bit here and there on my s38 build . I actually ran into him a few weeks back , he actually removed that air box because he has turned the car back into a street car and wanted the low end torque .Mike the young fella making the piece actually works with Ed Semph @ kinetic speed shop,

as this piece progress's Ill keep it updated

BD

bdigel

Reaction score
002.JPG

continued on putting the interior together , covered the floor pan in grip tape
next step will be figuring out how I want to fasten the subfloor to the floor

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We are making a carbon box , the piece you see above is the mold . Decided to make one instead of buying one to ensure it fit , and would work for what Im trying to accomplish.

I am good friends with David Daniels and am quite familiar with his M5 Sled, I have consulted with him a bit here and there on my s38 build . I actually ran into him a few weeks back , he actually removed that air box because he has turned the car back into a street car and wanted the low end torque .Mike the young fella making the piece actually works with Ed Semph @ kinetic speed shop,

as this piece progress's Ill keep it updated

BD

Good you know about David's air box. Yes, I saw him driving the M5 around at the Mitty. Did not get to talk to him but someone else told me he had put the car back for street use.
Do you mean Ed Senf or do I have it wrong all these years. I think he's independent just does work at Kinectic for the KIA team.

bdigel

Reaction score
made some more progress this week on various things
got more of the interior put together , installed the seat, the nets,

005.JPG

the seat is reinstalled

004.JPG

window net

007.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
001.JPG

getting started on putting the cooling system together , using e28 M5 cooling parts and going to have to build custom hose's. The E34 had the very large , heavy set coolant pipes on the front of the engine and the E28 style stuff just seamed like it would easier to make work in my application .

003.JPG

close up of cooling system and custom alt. pulley . over sized to slow down the alt , and supposedly more HP

bdigel

Reaction score
Now that its summer time , and its gawd awful hawt here in the ATL , Ive lost a bit of my MoJo . none the less we have started on the wiring harness's . Ive got Dustin Griggs building a true race spec Chassis harness using Mil spec connector, full Reychem shrink wrap , lt weight , etc, etc , truly a work of art

IMG_20150318_113042774.jpg

one of the bulkhead connecters getting wired

clKAwZVMBkcAxcBj9KrqLGZJdnOnUmhpSRj6U1Y6H-c=w830-h467-no

IMG_20150319_185434079.jpg

Gauges wired with warning lights

IMG_20150515_163141110.jpg

Switch panel with circuit breakers

IMG_20150515_163112021.jpg

IMG_20150515_163050656.jpg

view of what's going on inside the panel

bdigel

Reaction score
Another Big step completed . Dustin ( Annex Garage / ) finished the chassis Harness and we installed it in the car today We were able for the 1st time in years power a few things up , Even Kicked the Starter over ! We got Brake lts working, diff pumps and Fan , gauges and warning lts operational , and the kill switch do what they are suppose to . Battery cables made and installed .

005.JPG

modern style harness ready to be installed

006.JPG

Battery Cables

003.JPG

hade to make some holes and put some grommet's to lay the harness out though the car

010.JPG

012.JPG

007.JPG

Bulkhead connector to the trunk