72 Restomod clubracer build

bdigel

Reaction score
Most impressed with the welding! I need more practice!

I am not responsible for the welding, The latest batch of credit goes to the young fella in the back of the picture here, Steven Landis aka " turtle "
a very very talented welder and General fab guy , very lucky to have his service as well as the help of many others .

on this batch of work he used he really cool "suitcase" tig welder. It lays down a nice clean beed. just listening to it lay down you can tell it going to come out soooooo much nicer than a mig. crazy stuff

012.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
now for the dashboard install. I got a repo fiberglass deal , which didn't fit real well. it took a lot of massaging to get it to fit well and some creative solutions to mount the thing in the car , we welded some nuts in the corners and two on the top , and finally it looks like it belongs in the car

006.JPG

Notched out where the steering column goes and recessed where the a pillar bars come down

007.JPG

notice how tight it actually fits now

008.JPG

001.JPG

after the gauges are installed

002.JPG

a nice stack 8k tach prominent front and center

003.JPG

still have to wire up and install idiot lts but some nice progress

stphers

Reaction score
Gauges

Hi,

I have to commend you and the fellows that are doing your car, this is one well put together car. Never mind how the pro's do it, this is a very professional job. Kudo's to all.

One thing about your small gauge cluster, have a look at some chrome bezels that Series 2 (70-75 ) Alfa Spiders use. They offset the guages a little so the actually face you better. I used them on a 2002 that I did up years ago with extra gauges in my center console. Much easier to check especially when you are in the middle of a race. Just a thought. They might a cool touch

Thanks, Rick

bdigel

Reaction score
Thanks Rick 1 Ill look in to the alfa gauges but I think the VDO's and stack are here to stay thanks for the tip though

another day another update

today we installed the center net, probably the 1st time a center has been installed in a CS ! Its required with some of the clubs I run with so yes I cut up the dash a bit to install this net . it is obtrusive , but you get use to it , This net is widely used by pro team's , because of its well working quick release, and the ratchet devise used to tighten the net up ,

015.JPG

Ken test's out the new net

020.JPG

view from the drivers side

017.JPG

021.JPG

close up of quick release and ratchet devise

018.JPG

close up of how ken slotted the dash , and where the center net strap goes though it. The dash covers up where the net attaches to the body, there is a eyebolt welded where a clip connecter clips into the eyebolt

023.JPG

view with both nets up

as you guys may have noticed I have spent some serious cash on go fast parts , but take note I did not skimp on safety !

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
New contest? Name that Car!

Can I suggest a name for the car? Max. It just has that "Mad Max" look and you wouldn't have to paint it.

Thanks for sharing all the creative engineering.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, Max, but then he would have to mount a 60 gallon boobie-trapped fuel tank in the rear window, but on the bright side I have a couple of "ferrel Kids" that can ride along, one is pretty good with a boomerang :)

bdigel

Reaction score
Yes, Max, but then he would have to mount a 60 gallon boobie-trapped fuel tank in the rear window, but on the bright side I have a couple of "ferrel Kids" that can ride along, one is pretty good with a boomerang :)

ahh that's great fella's ! love it

well heres my theme song well my opening credits anyways ! hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1uDc_qa-4

Hopefully once the body work is done she will be too nice to be a " mad max " car we can use that on the old e12 race car !

BLAKELY__668%5B1%5D.jpg

bdigel

Reaction score
The pace is picking up , the car will go to get the exhaust done , but before that could happen we had to finish the mods for the side exit. You may remember I had the pass. side floor raised to make a tunnel /pathway for the exhaust to get it off the ground . the last piece of that puzzle was the pass. side rocker panel. Ken cut it out and made a beautiful piece to fill in the gap in the rocker and Steven welded it in to place , Im real happy with the way it turned out , I think it adds a nice finished touch esp compared to how other CSL 's do their side exhaust under the rocker. it was lot of extra work but I think its worth it

006.JPG

how they did it in the 70's , notice the car has to sit up higher to get ground clearance for the exhaust. , I think this is one reason my car will ride a bit lower .

002.JPG

as previously posted the raised floor

007.JPG

where the raised floor dead ends in to the rocker

001.JPG

007.JPG

004.JPG

Ken makes progress in removing the many layers of the rocker panel . Note , I really thought it would just be a matter of cutting two panels and filling the hole , it actually was a lot more work, damn thing was like an onion , peeling more and more layers !

006.JPG

panel the Ken crafted to cover the cutout rocker

002.JPG

cutting and shaping the piece to fit

008.JPG

new piece held in place by celicos

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

014.JPG

lastly an idea of what a 3 inch pipe would /will look like in the new exhaust exit

024.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

and finally welded into place , ready to be shipped off to get the exhaust done .

013.JPG

lastly a huge shout out to Ken , who really did a nice job there

Stefan Doring

Reaction score
clubracer gauges

Hi there
first of all want to gratiulate all of the involved in that Project for their great work you/they did
just want to ask can you see the two gauges on the right side of the center net from your driver position ?
they are very important when you drive(race) the car

bdigel

Reaction score
Hi there
first of all want to gratiulate all of the involved in that Project for their great work you/they did
just want to ask can you see the two gauges on the right side of the center net from your driver position ?
they are very important when you drive(race) the car

Hi Stefan,

the center net does slightly obstruct the view of the two gauges on the other side, and that's why I put the gauges that aren't "mission critical " there, the oil temp and volt meter . Personally , I only pay attention to 3 gauges during a race, , the tach, oil pressure, and water temp .

and now for more updates.

I started on mounting the fiberglass hood, and installing the hoodpins that will hold it in place , the hood will need some tweeking but Ill get to that later
The rear pins we just drilled some holes and mounted them , the front ones I needed to fab up some plates to cover the headlight access ports ,and then mounted the pins in those

002.JPG

001.JPG

using the shear to cut out some panels

003.JPG

panel taking some shape

004.JPG

005.JPG

008.JPG

panel installed with hoodpin

009.JPG

making a template so I can match placement on the other side

007.JPG

rear pin installed

010.JPG

011.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
last bit of interior work before the car gets dropped off at the body shop

first project was to finish the shifter , I needed to tweek the tunnel where the shifter sits

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

the second interior project that needed to be completed is a switch panel needed to be made

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

001.JPG

007.JPG

021.JPG

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Once again

Beautiful work, or should I say art, can't wait to see it on it's way to body and when she gets back- those pictures seem to be very dramatic :)

Do you have any idea when/where your first race will be- I think we all need to show up!

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Really appreciate you taking the time to photographically chronicle all your hard work Brendan. Most interested to see how the steering works, which I guess you won't really know until it is track tested.

Gary

bdigel

Reaction score
Beautiful work, or should I say art, can't wait to see it on it's way to body and when she gets back- those pictures seem to be very dramatic :)

Do you have any idea when/where your first race will be- I think we all need to show up!

Thanks Guys, I am trying to have the car ready for this years Walter Mitty HSR race at road Atl in late April . BMW will be the featured mark and I really want to be there ! Not sure Im going to make it ,its a a lot of work but Im going to try . I would love to debut it there and meet all of you . Regardless all of you should come to this event , I think the CSL turnout should be high , and it will be a fun time.

to keep things moving I actually Dropped the car off at the Body shop yesterday, exciting stuff . and that was after picking it up from getting the exhaust done . A friend of mine I worked with at another shop ions ago ( Justin Poole) opened a Subaru shop, did the exhaust, , he is another extremely talented guy that I am lucky to know !

010.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

the exhaust pieces before assembly

003.JPG

002.JPG

putting together the merge collector

009.JPG

taps welded on the headers to bolt the merge collector on

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

notice how nicely the exhaust is tucked into the car giving me the ground clearance I wanted

016.JPG

close up of v band connector to the back part of the exhaust

017.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

close up's of the hangers

022.JPG

exhaust lining up with the side exit though the rocker panel

027.JPG

026.JPG

025.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
I dropped the car off at the body shop a few days ago, and am very excited at the progress that is already being made .

004.JPG

the body panels , the doors , and a bunch of trim

002.JPG

before I took the car up to the body shop , I basically disassembled the entire car , pulled the drivetrain out, the interior the fuel cell, etc, etc
and boxed it up .

now the exciting stuff

003.JPG

the panels screwed into place and cut to shape ,

004.JPG

the exhaust exit smoothed out

005.JPG

006.JPG

detail of the work that will be covered by the installation of the body panels . smoothed out and finished trimming of the wheel wells and some rocker repair

008.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
more updates from the body shop ,

001.JPG

the wheel arches smoothed out and cleaned up

002.JPG

some extra wide meaty tires ! quite noticeable without the flares on

003.JPG

doors getting ready for paint and test fit back on the car

005.JPG

work starting on the driver side flares

006.JPG

sanding and smoothing up the front

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is amazing! I am particularly interested in how the rear wheel well is bridged to the flares and any duct work that goes back there. Thanks again for posting- feel like I'm a fly on the wall!