///

scestes

Reaction score
Re: Not Sold...

Ephriam K. Williams said:
:shock: :?: Not Sold... Still available. I think it's a SCAM. Buyer wants to send a cashier's check overnight and use a shipping company in the SF Bay area. :?: :?: :?: What do you guy's think?

The carbs are in the Bay Area? Do you want me to check em out?

scestes

Reaction score
Gotcha. Perhaps he just has an account with the shipping co here in the bay area. If he's gonna send you a certified check, just check with your bank to make sure that the funds are cleared right away. If it does, you're in the clear right.

scestes

Reaction score
Well, I definitely wouldn't ship a product until the funds cleared. I mean hell, I just read a story about someone giving Girl Scouts fake money to get free cookies... It'd be nice if we could trust everyone, but you just can't.

acat2002

Reaction score
sounds suspect to me.

Triple Webers should sell pretty easily, so why don't you wait for a more comfortable buyer? If this guy cant do Paypal or something like that, tough s**t!

If you deposit the cashier's check into your checking or savings account, the check may end up back in the possesion of the scammer with your bank account information on the back. Definately smacks of a common scam.

There are too many scammers on Craigslist & eBay. You're definately right to be apprehensive. always trust your first insticnt, it is usually the correct one

jmackro

Reaction score
I think that acat is giving you good advice.

I'm no expert on banking or check clearing, but I have been reading about scams involving cashiers checks. My worry would be that your bank would accept the check, and you would THINK you were all set and ship the carbs & manifold. Then a week later, your bank might contact you and say "sorry - it didn't clear at the other end".

In this day and age, PayPal or even US Postal Service money orders are pretty common. For a high-demand item like yours, you can afford to be more selective.

Just out of curiosity, why did you market it on Craigslist, rather than ebay? Ebay provides protection primarily to buyers, but does expose parts to a wider audience, and gives the opportunity for multiple, enthusiastic buyers to bid up the price (plus, it's easy to post pictures).

scestes

Reaction score
First of all, I'm curious if you ended up selling these?

Secondly, I think I understand your apprehension. Was the email from the potential buyer similar to the one I just got today?

Hello,I really appreciate your response to my mail.I want you to consider the item sold, pls do withdraw the advert from Craigslist to avoid disturbance and to be rest assured on my side that i have bought it.I want you to know that i will be paying via cashier's check ..I will need you to provide me the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check...

1.Full name to write on the check
2.Full Physical address to post the check
3.Home & Cell Phone to contact you

I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check.

acat2002

Reaction score
scestes said:
First of all, I'm curious if you ended up selling these?

Secondly, I think I understand your apprehension. Was the email from the potential buyer similar to the one I just got today?

Hello,I really appreciate your response to my mail.I want you to consider the item sold, pls do withdraw the advert from Craigslist to avoid disturbance and to be rest assured on my side that i have bought it.I want you to know that i will be paying via cashier's check ..I will need you to provide me the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check...

1.Full name to write on the check
2.Full Physical address to post the check
3.Home & Cell Phone to contact you

I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check.

...and the award for "Most Articulate Nigerian Scam Artist" goes to........Kitchwa, who worked tirelessly for a year perusing Craigslist and eBay until he found only the most gullible sellers.

Sorry to sound so sarcastic, but there is NO way any legit buyer would write this way. Paypal, credit card or a wire to a low-balance bank account are the only way to go with these transactions. If I'm accepting a wire or if I were every forced to take a check, I use a savings account set up at a local bank with less than $50 in the balance. Even still, give out as little personal information as possible until you can verify who you're talking to.

scestes

Reaction score
acat2002 said:
...and the award for "Most Articulate Nigerian Scam Artist" goes to........Kitchwa, who worked tirelessly for a year perusing Craigslist and eBay until he found only the most gullible sellers.

Sorry to sound so sarcastic, but there is NO way any legit buyer would write this way. Paypal, credit card or a wire to a low-balance bank account are the only way to go with these transactions. If I'm accepting a wire or if I were every forced to take a check, I use a savings account set up at a local bank with less than $50 in the balance. Even still, give out as little personal information as possible until you can verify who you're talking to.

Yea, as soon as I read it a light bulb clicked on and said "OH, I'll bet THAT is why he thought he was being scammed" Because, in all likelyhood, he was! Yea, I put a fish tank up for sale last year and had 5 of these hit my inbox during the 2 weeks I was trying to sell the tank.