JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’m nostalgic for the time when a long time owner, new to the forum, would ask for advise from members of how to best sell their coupe. Knowing (or be willing to admit) that the collective knowledge here is far greater than one individual.
Those were the days.
My coco mats are feeling a bit unwanted now. :( I’m open to suggestions. Sisal?

Tim M

Reaction score
I'm not sure what he thought the outcome would be with the photo's posted but after reading BaT comments he should take the Forum advise and fix some issue. The dash along would turn me off on bidding. Waterlogged comes to mind!

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did I already constructively say that the toolbox is having some non e9 parts in there? Just so the OP can get the most out of his sale:
- do try and add the correct red screwdrivers and both short and long pliers.
-The pins (Tommy bar) with the reduced diameter thick end are for post e9 as well, correct one should have a tick end (not diameter reduced)
-The long combined open and closed wrench should be replaced with a 2 sided ring spanner of 17-19 mm "Heyco W-Germany No350"

When all is in good order, a nice toolbox alone will bring you a 1000usd.

The new owner of the car may reach out so that I can help him to aquire some of these. The OP may not....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-225059_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210714-225059_Samsung Internet.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey man, I would love to have your car.

If I had it I would re-do the interior and remove all spray paint including overspray, exhaust, valve cover, valve cover overspray, underbody in general. whoever spray painted it with assorted colors (brass color, silver, black ...) did you a huge disservice.

I am being constructive, I wouldn't pay what you are asking but I'd be very happy to have a car as nice as yours.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Further to Pete's comments, I think Richard revealed himself in his responses to Mike - "Are we to admire you for your current or past cars?" and to Robert - "Ok to the car [guy] with two self-classified #3 cars." In both cases, the comments indicate that the value of a person varies depending on their cars. For someone with such a worldview, pointing out negatives on their car is tantamount to attacking them personally.

And Richard, if this is how you assess people, consider the following as you assess Pete's comments. This is a picture I took of Pete in 2016 on the lawn at Pebble Beach. Pete is the guy with the blue hat, and that is his car with the ribbon on it. Surely, this proves Pete is a God and you must respect what he has to say.

20160821_100442.jpg

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another non-constructive naysayer.

Are we to admire you for your current or past cars?

I could do that as well.

A bit unsecure, I believe.
I stand strongly behind what I wrote and I write
from a lot of experience having had a career selling some very special cars. My “non-constructive” naysaying criticism is based on facts and experience. If you want to toss your toys out of the pram and act like child you are achieving success. If you want to take words of wisdom and experience then we are all happy to help. However my comment wasn’t an attack on you while yours is an attack towards me. Well done.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What an “excellent” black car should look like.
we have 5 black coupes in the shop right now.

Attachments

• C6A34011-C8FB-4745-907B-364EB6D2B864.jpeg
    C6A34011-C8FB-4745-907B-364EB6D2B864.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 1051788F-32F7-49E2-BCE8-E5E25C183C86.jpeg
    1051788F-32F7-49E2-BCE8-E5E25C183C86.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 8BD18FF8-17F2-400A-96B0-BAAB99624AF0.jpeg
    8BD18FF8-17F2-400A-96B0-BAAB99624AF0.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 8506C6BB-C548-4CC2-BBAA-E7B5FD0162A2.jpeg
    8506C6BB-C548-4CC2-BBAA-E7B5FD0162A2.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 164
  • FD8F6A73-F771-4394-8065-43FCD5981DD6.jpeg
    FD8F6A73-F771-4394-8065-43FCD5981DD6.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 7E41F8F0-64FD-4B40-A633-715F0875BC91.jpeg
    7E41F8F0-64FD-4B40-A633-715F0875BC91.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 162

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dang. I wanted to ask him if I could inspect the car since I'm only 10 miles away.

Some current pics and unbiased, E9 experienced eyes might provide a fair report. I've never been a concours d'elegance judge, either.

But, as I posted in the "Selling like Hotcakes" thread:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seller claims "I was a concours judge in the BMW CCA DC/MD/VA chapter for many years, as well as a judge for the Mercedes CCA."

Mmmmmm, sure.

Trying to imagine this guy among the Q-tip crowd... some of us have experienced his type. Unpleasantness usually ensued.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was confident in my predictive last sentence, and was not disappointed.

Last edited:

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
- Was going to add a "constructive" comment earlier in the thread, but noticed that my phone auto-corrected the seller's forum handle to Ranman596061 and thought it was too coincidentally weird.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see this thread has been edited and retitled "1973." I would now like to offer only positive observations about "1973":
- Miami Dolphins' perfect season
- Dark Side of the Moon
- The Godfather wins Best Picture
- Skylab is launched
- Spiro Agnew resigns
- Kristen Wiig is born
- "Let's Get it On"

What else...?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Further to Pete's comments, I think Richard revealed himself in his responses to Mike - "Are we to admire you for your current or past cars?" and to Robert - "Ok to the car [guy] with two self-classified #3 cars." In both cases, the comments indicate that the value of a person varies depending on their cars. For someone with such a worldview, pointing out negatives on their car is tantamount to attacking them personally.

And Richard, if this is how you assess people, consider the following as you assess Pete's comments. This is a picture I took of Pete in 2016 on the lawn at Pebble Beach. Pete is the guy with the blue hat, and that is his car with the ribbon on it. Surely, this proves Pete is a God and you must respect what he has to say.

View attachment 123019
Ohmess,

Thank you for the kind and funny words, you made me smile for the memories (which I will never forget) and the comment, love the picture btw.

Last edited:

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
What on earth does IYEWADOAQ mean? Asking for a friend.
"I yodel every weekday and don't often answer questions."

It's a regional slang, I guess, as it's not popular where I live.

I do not believe the Hagerty valuation tool is a real-world valuation guide. I, personally, have never seen a #1 car. By their descriptions, they simply do not exist even at a concours event. I've seen and participated in some tremendous restorations, but I think everyone knows how hard it can be to make something as good as possible and despite multiple attempts, never quite get there. There are also lots of cars that fall well below the #4 threshold. It doesn't account for rust or a project car in need of a complete restoration - especially a non-runner. The problem I have with people using a number to look at a car is that it's entirely subjective and as is the case here, the seller has one opinion and a community of actual experts has another. This is a problem when you have a ~$40k delta between the categories. Maybe it actually isn't a problem and people that think with the caps lock on are actually the problem. It's hard to take someone seriously who says he never said the chrome was excellent but in his own annotated presentation of the valuation descriptions did exactly that.

Of course, then there's social media. You can post a photo in a positive reinforcement group and get positive comments and likes and the "care" thingy. Problem is, you'll have a hard time finding someone to cash those in for something tangible. I think there's a mighty good chance there were somewhere between -3 and 2 people registered on BaT with a credit card on file that gave a like or one of the catalogued, hand-picked positive comments shared here. Like had been said before, it's not much different from the wave at the gas station and the "hey is that a 2 oh oh 2? My ex-wife's third husband's brother's hairdresser's sister's boyfriend had one of those in college" comments about a 528e. Is someone going to creep around the other side of the pump and go, "Hey, that car sucks man. It's so dumb?" Probably not. Not likely to do that on Facebook either. Instead, they might leave a comment like, "Hang ten!" when looking at the paint.

What's funny is that if you acknowledge the faults and shortcomings of the car, you'd actually get more positive comments. I'd say you're doing pretty well since no one has offered you $8,500 yet (offer that starts with an 8).

As to Mike's comment about the Internet's long memory, I wonder if you can get Reputation Defender for a VIN.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
"I yodel every weekday and don't often answer questions."

It's a regional slang, I guess, as it's not popular where I live.

I do not believe the Hagerty valuation tool is a real-world valuation guide. I, personally, have never seen a #1 car. By their descriptions, they simply do not exist even at a concours event. I've seen and participated in some tremendous restorations, but I think everyone knows how hard it can be to make something as good as possible and despite multiple attempts, never quite get there. There are also lots of cars that fall well below the #4 threshold. It doesn't account for rust or a project car in need of a complete restoration - especially a non-runner. The problem I have with people using a number to look at a car is that it's entirely subjective and as is the case here, the seller has one opinion and a community of actual experts has another. This is a problem when you have a ~$40k delta between the categories. Maybe it actually isn't a problem and people that think with the caps lock on are actually the problem. It's hard to take someone seriously who says he never said the chrome was excellent but in his own annotated presentation of the valuation descriptions did exactly that.

Of course, then there's social media. You can post a photo in a positive reinforcement group and get positive comments and likes and the "care" thingy. Problem is, you'll have a hard time finding someone to cash those in for something tangible. I think there's a mighty good chance there were somewhere between -3 and 2 people registered on BaT with a credit card on file that gave a like or one of the catalogued, hand-picked positive comments shared here. Like had been said before, it's not much different from the wave at the gas station and the "hey is that a 2 oh oh 2? My ex-wife's third husband's brother's hairdresser's sister's boyfriend had one of those in college" comments about a 528e. Is someone going to creep around the other side of the pump and go, "Hey, that car sucks man. It's so dumb?" Probably not. Not likely to do that on Facebook either. Instead, they might leave a comment like, "Hang ten!" when looking at the paint.

What's funny is that if you acknowledge the faults and shortcomings of the car, you'd actually get more positive comments. I'd say you're doing pretty well since no one has offered you $8,500 yet (offer that starts with an 8).

As to Mike's comment about the Internet's long memory, I wonder if you can get Reputation Defender for a VIN.
Spot on comments and thanks for solving the acronym. I agree that absolutely "perfect" is an unobtainable goal. The restorer always knows where the defects can be found. I am deeply involved with vintage aircraft judging and we use a 100 point standard divided between components. I have never seen a 100 or even a 98. Original for us means how is was when it left the factory which was never "perfect".

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m nostalgic for the time when a long time owner, new to the forum, would ask for advise from members of how to best sell their coupe. Knowing (or be willing to admit) that the collective knowledge here is far greater than one individual.
Those were the days.
My coco mats are feeling a bit unwanted now. :( I’m open to suggestions. Sisal?
I dunno, I have coco mats and I think they are good looking, durable and period correct.