1970 2800CS restoration - in preliminary stage

tdgray

Reaction score
I think they got a little carried away with the ”denting”

and yes… my rear muffler has the little indentation in it. That looks very “machine“ made.

this looks like someone smushed it with a 2 x 6.

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I was very excited today... finally got the package from Germany.

Unfortunately it showed up a little mangled.

Since I have no experience here I have no idea ... but doesn't seem right to me.
I was alarmed to see the size of that deformation. I did, though, recall my stock one had something similar, but not quite so severe looking.

Attachments

• DSC_0438b~2.JPG
    DSC_0438b~2.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 67

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, the stock drawing on realoem shows a formed recess ... but not something that looked like it had been beat to death with a baseball bat and left for dead.

tdgray

Reaction score
So I took it for a couple back road drives... not exactly the nicest day here to do so.

Pretty sure the brake booster is toast. Soon as you hit the brakes the idle jumps up 500 rpm and won't come down until you blip the throttle.

Valves are making a racket. Will have to adjust.

Secondaries take a huge minute to kick in.

All this is to be expected when a car has sat as long as this one did.

Dave G

Reaction score
Well this is the strangest thing ever.

So I have been corresponding with W&N concerning the exhaust system situation. First off let me say that they have been extremely helpful and very responsive. Over and above good service which is rare these days.

Apparently, this is how the center silencer is supposed to be .... that dent in on purpose. I mean it did look a little purposeful but with the condition of the packaging I just assumed it was a problem.

Again... seems peculiar to me but okay I guess so. The rep even sent me a picture of one from their inventory (attached).

Just an FYI for those of you that do purchase this system. It is on the top of the piece so it does not exactly show.
Hello! Fun to see your purchase and read about your progress. Welcome to the E9 restoration adventure! I will confess that I've been on it for about 10 years now. I also bought the stainless steel exhaust system from W&N. The first system came with a significant amount of damage. They promptly sent a second system with minor shipping damage but considerably less so I decided to keep it. I just grabbed my center unit from storage and am attaching photos of it from both sides for your comparison. FYI, although WN said nothing to me about returning the damaged unit, UPS asked for it when they delivered the new system. I did not have it ready so they had to come back for it later.

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0651.jpeg
    IMG_0651.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 44

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Looks like a rack of exhausts fell over at the factory and somebody drove a fork lift over all of them. That severe degree of dis-forming should come with a disclaimer about appearances.

tdgray

Reaction score
Yes, I mentioned that to them and they said they would consider this.

So… waiting on parts again… hmmm. I’m sensing a theme here :)

Have a rebuild kit for the carbs coming. Did all I could with them as is.

Did a valve adjustment today. Wow that’s been a hot minute. Did remember how to do it after I overtightened the first two.

I know that carbs have a vacuum issue but I am pretty sure the brake booster needs rebuilt. Going to have to find someone to get the to. I’ve had good experience with White Post but their lead times can be very very long.

All the crusty old fuel lines etc will be getting replaced when the carbs are off. Best not burn down the car while getting it sorted a bit.

Always good to get garage time.

IMG_0567.jpeg

tdgray

Reaction score
yep… just as bad as mine. It does not seem to affect it in anyway that I can tell… which is weird

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i thought the 'strategic dents' were only in the rear muffler behind the diff. i do not remember seeing them in the center resonator. i just looked up pics of the system on Fritz's Bits - NO strategic dents ... but now that i think about it, that's the underside of the resonator. mine isn't here at the house to go look at - anybody else have 'strategic dents'?
View attachment 177098

Apparently it does……

Attachments

• IMG_3022.jpeg
    IMG_3022.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3021.jpeg
    IMG_3021.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 34

tdgray

Reaction score
Weird… I wonder what the heck for… doesn’t seem to be a clearance issue as far as I can tell.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
as i remember, the original 2800cs resonator did not have the big strategic dent at the front, there was a small indention in the middle of the smaller resonator. also, the 2800cs did not have the middle muffler muffler between the resonator and the rear muffler. @tdgray the strategic dent was for the hanging mount on the 3.0cs - which also mounted the heat shield

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have my system out as well, and I build it with a new, old Eberspacher part. It even identifies itself as fitting for an e9, but also e3 types are named.
Not sure if this was bmw issued though, as stating e3 and e9 fitment seems a bit "aftermarket".

Anyway, it clearly also has the dent. The dent looks to be made after the oval end cap is welded in.

Attachments

• 20240224_221212.jpg
    20240224_221212.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240224_221111.jpg
    20240224_221111.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 33

tdgray

Reaction score
So I’ve been making progress on multiple things albeit a bit slowly… mainly based On here and there purchases.

So. All brake pads, shoes, drums and rubber lines changed. Brake booster is being refurbushed. Was missing hardware in the back drums so had to order from W&N. E brake is still non operational. Don’t feel like changing the cable until tear down.

Tore down the Weber 32/36’s were pretty darn crusted up inside. I will get some zenith 35 / 40’s for the actual restoration.

Did the valves. Pretty decent now… much quieter. Timing is set but I don’t love it where it is. I am going to dig in the PO’s timing mark… I don’t think it’s accurate.

The Webers are not setup correctly for sure. But I’ve done a couple of circuits around the neighborhood and it is running much much better. Still work to be done for sure.

Sealed up some holes in the body… no heroic efforts taken. Just some All Metal which will come back out eventually. Just trying to protect what is still there. Bought a can of Malaga off eBay… 8 bucks. It ain’t pretty.

Overall I am pleased so far. Everything is getting operational. Hey… the reserve light came on today when I was going around a corner.

Still need to get my out of state inspection. Getting closer.

Windows will be needed soon… have to get one those one of these days. Drivers is working if you help it down… and up.

tdgray

Reaction score
Not a lot picture worthy these days. As you can imagine lots of piddly crud to get after just to get it somewhere near okay.

Mostly correcting DAPO or DAPM ”fixes”.

Made a new hangar for the tailpipe. It’s better.

Made a temporary hat shelf from material I had laying around. Not even close to correct but better than a rusty piece of metal staring at me.

Fixed the crooked alternator which had the wrong size bolt. Bushings shot and some kind of I have no idea what attempt to shore it up. Adjusted the power steering pump at the same time.

confirmed timing mark… PO’s “line” was at least 7 degrees off… probably more. distributor needs rebuilt. My buddy Jeff does these.

The webers are a very poor replacement for the zeniths…. And that is being really nice. They are awful… Lumpy.. poor adjustments and even though they are choked way down they still dump too much gas at idle.

I found some 35/40’s …will be a process getting them rebuilt and recommissioned.

the Differential mount is absolute toast. Will replace the transmission mount at the same time.

Bled The clutch more but the slave cylinder is just not holding well. Will refurb or replace.

Enough of me rambling on

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 30