1970 2800CS restoration - in preliminary stage

tdgray

Reaction score
I'm sure we will change the name of the thread from time to time.

But it just arrived tonight. Lots to dig into. Lots to look at and go through.

Will take some pictures as I start sorting through it.

It has to go into storage shortly while the new garage is being built... because as you can see... I'm out of room and the car is in the wife's spot. She's a saint.

Attachments

• 20240123_184706.jpg
    20240123_184706.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 20240123_184446.jpg
    20240123_184446.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 120

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome. I bought my US version 1970 2800CS back in 2014 on Maui. After moving households twice over 4648 miles my car is still in storage waiting for a new garage to be built. But along the way I've learned a lot here and have collected most of the parts I'll need so that time hasn't been wasted.

Eventually, you may want to start a new restoration thread. We love photos. To message someone, you hover your cursor over their name and choose 'start a conversation.' The search function is your friend.

tdgray

Reaction score
Not going to be that long Ian. Contractor was out marking the garage out today.. happy little stakes in the ground.

restorations are all a big journey… lots of twists and turns… couple pit stops along the way. Not my first rodeo… most likely not my last.

tdgray

Reaction score
Well…. Here we go. Engine compartment… not bad. Seems like most everything is here. This is like a time warp for me. Trying to remember 30 years ago when I worked on my old one. It’s flooding back to me quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpeg
    IMG_0545.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 107

tdgray

Reaction score
Lots of work to do. Some parts I could not see in the auction… some destroyed dash parts. Obviously covers will go off for refurb. I’ll do the wood. But all in all relatively pleased with the completeness.

i totally forget what the switches under the dash are for… it’ll come back to me.

There certainly are bad things… rust through on the door. Many crunchy places.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpeg
    IMG_0550.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0552.jpeg
    IMG_0552.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 102

tdgray

Reaction score
First things first… have to get her moving under her own power.

Clutch master is leaking fluid everywhere. Nicely enough… came with a rebuild kit.

who knows what the slave is like… one bite at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpeg
    IMG_0546.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 102

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i totally forget what the switches under the dash are for
Orange = rear window defrost
Red = hazard flashers
Green (if there) = fog lights

If you have the original 4 speed it will have the pricey cylindrical slave, not the inexpensive ones that came later.

tdgray

Reaction score
Thanks Steve... yes... now I recall. And yes, I have the green switch. Someone obviously buggered with the hazard switch as it is lit up right now. Doesnt matter, have to get the clutch master out anyway.

tdgray

Reaction score
Slave is soaking. Everything came off fairly easy. Master to slave hose even came off okay. It will be replaced but that’s not where we are right this moment.

Obviously you guys know what those wrenches are... they have been in my toolbox for almost 30 years. From my old 2800.

Master rebuilt and ready to go back in. No show and tell as there is a great post here on how to… thanks for that.

Attachments

• 20240124_141217.jpg
    20240124_141217.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240124_203742.jpg
    20240124_203742.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Steve... yes... now I recall. And yes, I have the green switch. Someone obviously buggered with the hazard switch as it is lit up right now. Doesnt matter, have to get the clutch master out anyway.
Hazard switch may not have been anyone's fault. When they degrade there is a tab inside that holds the switch down that lets loose. Then the hazards flash until the battery dies. You can open up the switch, bend the tab back in place and re-assemble.

tdgray

Reaction score
Thanks Chris

Master is back in and we have Clutch… not fantastic but it will do for now.

Brakes… not so much. See what we can do about that next and then it will be off to my brother in laws garage for a bit.

tdgray

Reaction score
One particularly funny thing I went through yesterday getting it back together etc.

If you all saw the BAT listing for the car you may have noticed that the hood was ajar in alll the photos. I assumed that the latches were broken or the cable had snapped etc. It was even shipped that way and tied down.

I inspected the latches. Lubricated them. Inspected the cables... nope all is good. Then I remembered how the hood latches.

I don't think the guy knew how to latch the hood :)

Pulled the lever... no problem.

tdgray

Reaction score
So not a ton of time but I have hit the car here and there. Again we are trying to get it running and driving to put over at my BILs but first we have to trot it down for an out of state inspection for a title.

So the other day I tuned up the engine. New points, plugs, wires, coil etc. Set The timing… was 6 degrees off. Still tuning the carbs. The fuel filter was unbelievably disgusting. I did drain what was left in tank which was almost nothing. Did not do anything else though.

Car runs 10 x better. I’m sure it will be better when I can actually run it around.

tdgray

Reaction score
Today I worked on the lights. Upon arrival I had headlights and one Left tail light.

Fixed a bad ground in the trunk. Also the right front turn sidler light was grounding and blowing the fuse. Cleaned all the sockets in both tail lights. Left sidler was a mess. Cleaned up and redid the ground. Replaced a bunch of bulbs

Thanks to Koopman for the signal lens. Works for now….cant even see the crack really.

Now have running lights, stop lights and reverse lights.

Turn Signals are still non op… will do some research here to see where to start.

tdgray

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on switches guys.

Fixed both the hazard and defrost switch today while I was fixing the turn signals.

Also. Did the fix on the hazards I found on the site as well. Picture is of in progress. I wrapped everything up nicely….Not as fancy as some of the fixes some of you did but it's what I had on hand.

Attachments

• 20240204_132955.jpg
    20240204_132955.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240204_115638.jpg
    20240204_115638.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240204_133226.jpg
    20240204_133226.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited: