Zenith intake manifold repair?

BarnE9

Reaction score
Hi from London - hope everyone keeping healthy and sane.
Looking for some advice re the bottom covers of intake manifolds (Zenith carb). The small spigot / pipe that leads off to choke mechanism has corroded and completely sheared off. I've borrowed these lovely pics from a Newsixcoupe thread of what I wish mine looked like(!) and you can see the small outlet pipe on the left hand housing below. Question - is this likely to be repairable (and I mean by a professional not me) or if anyone has a spare lying around with or without the rest of the manifold which theyd be willing to part with please PM me
Cheers
Simon
IMG_3277.JPG

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I suspect they are cast aluminum and likely not weldable. With failure being somewhat catastrophic I would suggest sourcing a new one instead of risking repair.

frogish

Reaction score
Cast aluminium is possible to weld and also solder, however aluminium needs to be very clean when welding.
Also that pipe is som small I'd go with Ohmess option instead. Most likely it will turn out better.

I have a spare you can have for the shipping cost from Sweden to UK.
Let me know if you are interested.

BarnE9

Reaction score
Cast aluminium is possible to weld and also solder, however aluminium needs to be very clean when welding.
Also that pipe is som small I'd go with Ohmess option instead. Most likely it will turn out better.

I have a spare you can have for the shipping cost from Sweden to UK.
Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks for comments guys and yes it is aluminium which is why I wasnt sure about the welding (plus narrow diameter of pipe). I will gratefully accept your offer Frogish - I will pm you today if thats ok
Simon

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice of Frogish to offer a replacement part. My idea might have worked, but it also has the potential to cause a vacuum leak once you get everything assembled, which can wreak havoc on carb tuning.

BarnE9

Reaction score
Nice of Frogish to offer a replacement part. My idea might have worked, but it also has the potential to cause a vacuum leak once you get everything assembled, which can wreak havoc on carb tuning.
Wasn't it just. It bears repeating - this community and forum is indeed fantastic! My mechanic said best he could find was a complete manifold plus carbs for hundreds of euros. Instead, one post on this forum and I have a possible solution (in fact two) in just a few hours, for postage and whatever I can persuade Erik to accept (or failing that a donation to the site!)

edmil

Reaction score
Wasn't it just. It bears repeating - this community and forum is indeed fantastic! My mechanic said best he could find was a complete manifold plus carbs for hundreds of euros. Instead, one post on this forum and I have a possible solution (in fact two) in just a few hours, for postage and whatever I can persuade Erik to accept (or failing that a donation to the site!)

I had the same problem on the front carb manifold. I was quoted £500 for repair by a professional in the Midlands, which I thought was a bit strong.
Had a brass tube fitted by IK Classics in Holmfirth for £69.

frogish

Reaction score
Unfortunately I had bad memory and the one I have is on the right hand side of the picture, with three large pipes. Not the broken one.
BarnE9 still needs the part!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I sleeved mine with a section of brass, locktite and a locating pin. Works fine.
Your other option is to find a replacement.

BarnE9

Reaction score
thanks for checking Erik. If I ever need the right hand side I know who to call!
Seems its a fairly common failure but unless anyone knows of a spare I guess I'll be going down the trusty brass tube route!

BarnE9

Reaction score
I had the same problem on the front carb manifold. I was quoted £500 for repair by a professional in the Midlands, which I thought was a bit strong.
Had a brass tube fitted by IK Classics in Holmfirth for £69.
HI Edmil - I might give them a call but did they attach the tube on to the stub of the broken pipe or insert and weld from the inside? Mine has broken off flush to the casing so I'm thinking the latter is only opton

BarnE9

Reaction score
IMG_2549 (1).jpg
just got this back from IK classics. Drilled tapped and bonded so should be good for a few years
- thanks for the tip Edmil