WTB - Wiper Pivot - LHS

Rek

Reaction score
My pivot has lost its ridges to the extent that the wiper blade just slips as the pivot turns.

I am looking for a replacement. I know that these might be difficult to take off so if I have to buy the complete wiper mechanism, then so be it.

The part is marked number 21 on the attached diagram.
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 15.31.26.png

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My pivot has lost its ridges to the extent that the wiper blade just slips as the pivot turns.

I am looking for a replacement. I know that these might be difficult to take off so if I have to buy the complete wiper mechanism, then so be it.

The part is marked number 21 on the attached diagram.View attachment 32463
Hi,
Is that the spline piece that the arm pushes o to?
Koopman

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
In all my years of ownership these were the most difficult parts to source. I managed to buy the RH pivot from BTS-Autoteile, but see they don't list any longer. I found a NOS pivot from an E3 (i think) on US Ebay. The triangular base plate of the assembly had different geometry so i had my metal worker cut and graft the top part on the E3 base onto the bottom part of my existing base.
I'd previously exhausted my options with replacement of just the splined cap, as this was the offending part, and a common issue. I'd found same diameter caps online which attach with a grub screw, but failed after several attempts to get them to hold. The original is push fitted onto the splined shaft.
I understand that the pivots have been updated now for use with the updated screw on wiper arms, so it may be a case of replacing both for a fix

starcruiser

Reaction score
Is the grooved casting slipping on the drive shaft or is the wiper slipping on the grooved casting? If the casting is slipping on the shaft, perhaps it could be drilled and pinned with a roll pin.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi,
If it,s for an E3,I am in contact with a E3 owner who has a parts car. I am sure I can et the part. I hope he does not see the one on Ebay.
Thanks

Rek

Reaction score
Mine is the spline firing rather than the screw on type. I noticed the cost of the Ebay ones posted. Thankfully they are not mine. It is the spline on the pivot which is smoother off, but I might try the fix which Starcruiser suggested. It seems the obvious solution right not.

I have seen these on sale for approx £150 each as new stock but I will try the fix first.

Thanks for the advice.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have found that by using a 'sleeve retaining' compound like Loctite ... also known as cylindrical bonding on the sleeve that comes loose works quite well. there are several different loctite products, i think mine is 640, but i would have to look when i get home to be sure.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As to the pin idea, coming home from the Vintage earlier this year one of my buddies lost his driver's side wiper in a rainstorm. We moved the passenger side wiper to the driver's side and wrapped some wire around the tab on the base of the wiper for good measure, and that got us home.

We went round and round on potential fixes for this problem, and rejected the pin idea because of the difficulty in implementation and the potential to weaken the metal. I used some safety wire from my front suspension work around the tab as an extra assurance on my wipers. My buddy Tom installed a screw. He removed the wiper and drilled a hole from the inside in the center of the portion of the arm that sits on the pivot. It is important that his hole be centered within the splines in the wiper arm. He then installed the wiper onto the pivot and drilled straight down into the pivot, tapped the hole in the pivot and installed a screw. I plan to use his technique over the winter.