WTB Variable resistor that controls the fan speed inside heater control unit

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
During dissasembly of my heater control i noticed that the ceremic coil or spool had a connecor that looked fried. Upon inspection, it turns out that a corner of the ceramic material was broken, and because of that, the wires do not line up nicely. Now the control does not move freely anymore.

- update; as I read in another post; it is called a " Variable resistor" and it controls the fan speed.

The part is shown on the attached picture, encircled in green.
below pic, (borrowed from @Belgiumbarry ; thanks) shows the same break that my part had.
weerstand 001.JPG

Does anyone have this separate part for sale? (Willing to buy a whole assembly if needed, but that seems a bit over the top)

Scammers beware, i will only purchase from known members.

Attachments

• 20200602_155222.jpg
    20200602_155222.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

BBOY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there, I have this available as a unite. 20200607_142330.jpg20200607_142312.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
that would do just fine.
A bit worn down look doesn't hurt for that part. How much for it, shipped to The Netherlands?
would you also happen to have the rectangle shaped metal grille, that directs the warm air form the heater unit directed towards the feet?

Attachments

• image-05-06-2020_18-16-23-22.jpg
    image-05-06-2020_18-16-23-22.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 102

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rewinding is an option indeed! Just need to find a correct material to shape into a base plate, as that is the part that is broken.
I've epoxied it together for now though, and i will have to see if it holds.
Erik

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't use an epoxy. It will not be healty for you nor passenger once the resistor will be heated up.

Much better way would be use steel rivets as original (difficult) or small screw with elastic washer. I would put there two/three nuts to block it against unscrewing.

Used, old units as it was pictured are having corroction makes them hot spots and ending up as in your resistor.

Chemistry (glue, resin...) will be cooked sooner or later and once heated generated toxic fumes.