WTB: Trunk Rear Trim Panel

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

can you give me a few verifications. i have attached a dimensioned sketch of the top panel. the other thing that i am curious about is the widths of the top panel ... say every 4" or so.

if anybody has an original rear panel in great shape, would like to see your comparison.

thanks
scott

Attachments

• bmw - e9 trunk panel - dimension verification.pdf
    13.5 KB · Views: 170

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott
Great work. May I have a full size PDF to plot too ? Sending you my email in a PM.

Thanks for all the effort.

-David

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
David,

the pdf's are on the way. please remember, this is an untested drawing. hopefully you will plot and test ... so we can get a more accurate final drawing.

in the coming weeks (months) i will also start drawing door panels, side panels, the rear arm rests, the package shelf, trunk floors, and the bottom dash piece.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On the topic of the notch cut out along the top piece.
I think that was done to accommodate the bumps.
Using inflexible material, the only way was to cut out those notches and run the elephant skin over the openings that way the material would flex over the bump

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On my original one there are no cutouts, the cardboard appears to be formed/wetted at the factory to make the bumps.

On the topic of the notch cut out along the top piece.
I think that was done to accommodate the bumps.
Using inflexible material, the only way was to cut out those notches and run the elephant skin over the openings that way the material would flex over the bump

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott

Send me a PM with e-mail and home address, I will mail you the tracing I just made for the driver's side. Included here are some shots that show how my top piece was reinforced on the inside leaving me to believe mine is all one piece, folded at the top, reinforcement holding the shape. It also goes all of the way to the quarter panel over the tail light.

Chris

Attachments

• panel 1.jpg
    panel 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 134
  • panel 2.jpg
    panel 2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 137
  • panel 3.jpg
    panel 3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 134
  • panel 4.jpg
    panel 4.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 128
  • panel 5.jpg
    panel 5.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 133

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's the bump stop ridge from behind, also note the sharp cutouts for the light boxes. I'll also be measuring/tracing this weekend.

IMG-20110831-00553.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ray,

to answer your question, yes we are making progress ... but its time to make the 2nd attempt at the mockup. the first one from Stan's template didn't work too well. i have dimensions from Steve's original piece and a template drawn from Chris' remade piece ... and by the way, they don't agree. but i do think we are closer ... so the new pattern will be cut this week and make final adjustments (hopefully).

will get back to everybody in the near future.
scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ray,

happy to be taking it on ... i need one too. we will get this as good and as close to the original as we can. Steve, if you are following this still, we can test the template against your original panel at oktoberfest in a few weeks.

then since a bunch of us will be making new panels ... we might need to start finding a cheaper source for elephant skin fabric than $139 / m2 from LJI. anybody know where we can get a group buy on the material?

cheers
scott

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
FWIW--I have an original one--

in VG condition in the BLUMAX.

Let me know if that would help your project--I can pull it out and provide measurements if that would be useful to your replication efforts.

Murray Fowler

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks Murray, if we get close on the next go around i will send the template to you for a check.

thanks,
scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this is what maximillian said today - i know the part number i listed is the same that shows up as the trim you were referring to.

We have the material available by running meter.

Price is: $79.53

Thanks!

Konrad Peters.
Maximillian Importing Company.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
rear panel - drawing progress

okay guys -

for those that are interested in this thread. the latest test pattern is very promising. i have to make a few minor adjustments, but it is fitting pretty well. i will remake the piece one more time and take both to Oktoberfest and test on Steve's car (compare to his original piece).

more soon
scott