WTB Rear window motors for 1973 E9

mwcs73

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone got a line, or are they unobtainium these days?

I do have the originals but don't know anyone who can repair them.

Thanks all,

M

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Why not do what other members are doing. Using El motors to replace the E9 motors. They are twice as fast and an easy installation.
I will have some in about a week. $65 each plus shipping. There are threads with instructions on this forum. If you would like a set let me know and I'll add you to my list of other forum members.
Thanks
Koopman

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you want to stay original, I think I have a set from a '74. These have two electrical connections, and I think the later '73 models had these 2 lug motors. I'll need to check to see how many I have - maybe 2, maybe 4.

A pair for $60, including shipping, assuming I still have them.

Gary

mwcs73

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This and a few PMs are making me think I should just replace all motors and enjoy the faster results. Does this make sense? Are our cars are going to ever be judged on complete originality? Or does functionality win out?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I got the faster motors and perhaps the single best improvement yet. I hated waiting for the windows to go up/down. It took a few hours each to install even though everyone said it was simple, it was not per my mechanics at least. Glad i did it. I see no benefit to staying original.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It should be simple for a car that already has the 2 lug motors. A bit more complicated if you have the older style (I think 3 lug) motors. The ones that fit are the rear door motors from an e28, or the early 9 tooth motors from Porsche (probably ~pre-85, they went to 12 tooth motors with the next few years - through '95 with the 928's I know).

Right side from the rear e28 goes to left side on e9, as I recall and vice versa. Do a search on this forum and you'll get lots of info.

Gary--

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Upgrade the relays at the same time, power for the window motors runs through the switches themselves, so using them to trigger relays makes things much quicker too.