WTB: Petri steering wheel

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry. Newbie here. Jumping into the E9 world. Ordered my car from a dealer and having them do a little bit of work before it's shipped to me, so I should have the car in about a month.

One of the changes I wanted to make was getting a new steering wheel. The Petri is my preferred choice and flat vs dished doesnt really matter. The correct hub is what's been difficult to find, so if this modified hub works, I'm ok with going in that direction. I just need to make sure the horn works - people in my town drive massive suvs.

So if all I need is to install a hub ring, that sounds pretty easy, but it would be helpful to know where I can get that part and an installation guide.

Thanks in advance.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry. Newbie here. Jumping into the E9 world. Ordered my car from a dealer and having them do a little bit of work before it's shipped to me, so I should have the car in about a month.

One of the changes I wanted to make was getting a new steering wheel. The Petri is my preferred choice and flat vs dished doesnt really matter. The correct hub is what's been difficult to find, so
So if all I need is to install a hub ring, that sounds pretty easy, but it would be helpful to know where I can get that part and an installation guide.

Thanks in advance.

I can tell that I don’t want to do house work today. the issue isn’t with the horn ring, unless you happen to find a more common 2002 petri hub. The issue is mounting a petri to a momo or nardi hub. I don’t think you can use a late model momo hub. There is no flange to hold the wheel center, and drilling the holes with the wheel centered will be tough.

old solid momo hubs (which aren’t common or cheap) have a lip that the petri fits perfectly into. Some petrie (especially VW/Audi ones) have a thin ring welded to the spokes. This interferes with the lip. If that were removed (as seen on most BMW Petri wheels), the fit is great.

Your best bet is to have a half inch adapter ring that changes the Petri bolt pattern to a momo/nardi. Any machine shop could do this. I will say that there is very little room to stagger the momo pattern from the petri. If you use one momo hole there is no interference.

Two early solid hubs with a raised lip and a late model hub.
BDB5BD1B-FBAB-4563-817F-8E5B1BD80F56.jpeg

Petri upside down to confirm that it fits. Sheetmetal ring interferes:
ABB38FF4-75CA-44E2-A63E-AC22DC355885.jpeg

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was looking at FloridaBMX's wheel which looks like it already has the correct fitting hub, but not the proper horn contact. So it seemed like it would be a matter of getting a new horn ring for his wheel which sounds like it would be fairly easy?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if i remember correctly, and it says so below, its a 'pieced-together' wheel, with an aftermarket CNC routed hub and a Momo horn button ... and its a dished petri, probably from a VW (not that is a negative thing - it IS a 40cm petri). that being said ... it is priced very reasonably, especially compared to ego-bgo on ebay, which is priced at double and doesn't have a horn ring. there is no photo of the horn ring on floridabmx's petri, so you should verify that you get that as part of the assembly.

it is VERY difficult to find a BMW petri horn button for these wheels ... and when you do, they are priced ridiculously.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have only seen 1 hub for sale separately ... and zero horn buttons in the last 4 to 5 years.

mr bump

Reaction score
Its a pieced together wheel.

It's a rare "dished" petri 40cm wheel, never used on BMW's. So its not correct. Also using aftermarket CNC hub and momo horn button.

Built it for my hot rod project, but since sold that.
Is this still for sale at all?