WTB- MOMO hub

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
FOUND!
Anybody out there have the solid momo hub for the E9 (shown as the one on the right in the photo)?
If so, please send me a PM with price. Thanks!

Last edited:

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
not a photo of my car, but here is a photo I found on the internet of the smaller hub being used to mount the early Alpina/MOMO steering wheel into an E9

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is one beastly hub! It fits but the horn won't work. I have a 2002 hub now that I'm trying to replace.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That is one beastly hub! It fits but the horn won't work. I have a 2002 hub now that I'm trying to replace.

Can you describe (maybe show a picture???) why the wiring from a 2002 hub won't work? What's different from an E9?

Would an E3 momo hub work?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
e9 has the horn contuct brush on the steering column not on the hub like the ebay item. The horn ring should be in the hub like the one on the right in this pic:

IMG-20130603-00449.jpg

Can you describe (maybe show a picture???) why the wiring from a 2002 hub won't work? What's different from an E9?

Would an E3 momo hub work?

bcoli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Questions

So does this go to a 2002?
Is it the tab that matters?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 20151106_075100.jpg
    20151106_075100.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 143

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks like the brass ring on the back of the steering wheels are removable? Seems that can get transplanted to one of the aftermarket hubs? Anyone do this?

s-l1600.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I've done that, I took the ring off my stock bus wheel and mounted it on a wood Nardi once.

Looks like the brass ring on the back of the steering wheels are removable? Seems that can get transplanted to one of the aftermarket hubs? Anyone do this?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If that is the tab that comes out and fits onto the steering column in the 3 o'clock position (under the blinker switch) then should will work. The ones that are for 2002 are the thick ones like in the pic I posted - hub on the left side.

So does this go to a 2002?
Is it the tab that matters?

Thanks,

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi there,
All hubs, Neue Klasse, 02, E3, E9, E12, E21, E23, E24 up to 1983, have the same diameter and splines. They are interchangeable.
The odd one is the BMW 02 hub. It doesn't have the contact ring, it has an contactpin. Here's a photo of a 02 hub;

Attachments

• naaf foto klein.jpg
    naaf foto klein.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 156

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score

Seller shows it will fit 77-86. In approx late 82 or early 83 the hub splines changed from fine to coarse. They are not interchangable so I would be careful on the after market EBay adapter. If the Momo adapter is fine splines, it should work

The splines are the same from 2002-pre 83 model cars E3 E9 and E12. So the only difference I am aware of is the horn ring.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
BTW, just received this in the mail:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111805255585

And it works great! Just gotta add a large ring terminal and ground wire on the big mounting nut to your steering wheel horn, in addition to the wire that already comes with it. No biggie.

Eventually, I'll repaint it w/some texture paint to be more like the steering column.

Sure beats the look of the Momo accordian hub or a $200 used solid Momo hub.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see my old thread sitting at the top of the list.
Nice find teahead, for others thinking of the same hub, please post photos or comments on it once you have it installed. One thing to note is the location of the steering wheel relative to the stalk controls. Of course it depends on the dish of the steering wheel, but some of these hubs need an additional spacer so that the controls are a good distance from the wheel.