WTB Ignition Tumbler and key for '72 3.0cs

sreams

Reaction score
I took the family to a BMW meet in Nevada this weekend in the 3.0cs. During the trip, the ignition became harder and harder to turn. The last time I started the car to return home, I had to turn the key with pliers to get the car to start. I removed the entire ignition lock cylinder tonight and separated the tumbler. I can easily rotate the assembly in the larger cylinder, but the key/tumbler is stuck. I've tried dry graphite lubricant and WD40 to no avail. Looking for a replacement tumbler with matching key (my car has always had a different key for the ignition than for the doors/trunk anyway). This is, of course, the PEBRA dimple key. Thanks ahead!

-Scott

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
C694B152-619E-4913-A8AF-FBB5B1B69AC4.jpeg

Does it have to be Pebra?

Ignition Cylinder Lock
Steering wheel ignition cylinder with keys
Mfg Part #
32-32-1-108-976
32 32 1 108 976
ECS Part #
ES#53422
Brand

$60.03 (11% Off MSRP)
freeshipping.gif
Free Shipping

Last edited:

sreams

Reaction score
Does it have to be Pebra?

Not necessarily, but I forgot to mention that it does have to fit a European delivery car (Mine was originally delivered in Italy). This site suggests that maybe some ignition parts are not exchangeable between US and Euro cars:

http://www.delockandkey.com/bmwdippage.htm

Looking at images of the part number you gave, it looks like the tumbler is too long to fit in my ignition assembly. Which is probably what is meant by the "short" Euro ignition vs the not-short US version.

sreams

Reaction score
Hi Scott,
Something like this? Two different kinds as far as I know. You gotta make sure the one you need has ‘off’ position the same angle to the depicted one.
I know the seller, maybe I can help......

Keshav

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Zundanlssschalter-BMW-E9-Coupe-2-5CS-2800CS-3-0CS-3-0CSi-3-0CSl/223133761144?fits=Platform:E9|Make:BMW&hash=item33f3cefe78:g:RGIAAOSwMPxbkU9J

That looks to be an ignition switch. I need the tumbler that matches a key on the other end of the cylinder.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm- good question.
I have 3 Italian cars in shop right now - I’ll check tomorrow.
I normally replace entire unit.
What year car? Locks changed 4/72
I think I would do lock, key and cylinder from e12
Under 100 bucks
If lock is bad, then cylinder and switch old too.
Amazon carries it or call double o2 in Am
W&N is 500.00

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1/3
Our Pick: Brand New
Ignition Lock Housing MTC 1101

$39.99
Free Shipping

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep that’s it.

Used to see whole package on internet- maybe Ebay or amazon.

sreams

Reaction score
Found the Ignition Lock Housing MTC1101 on Amazon for (can you believe it?) $5. I'm going to reuse my ignition switch for now, as it seems just fine, and is the most expensive part to replace. Now I can switch to an E12 tumbler and key. I'll update the thread with how it goes.

I also have a line on a possible Euro PEBRA tumbler/key replacement only. If that works out, I may get both and then decide which to install for the time being.