WTB: Getrag 4speed

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, you read that correctly. The auto to manual swap I did on my E3 last went very well except for the fact that the 4speed I installed is really noisy in 2nd & 3rd and grinds going into 4th. I bought it in unknown condition. I tried different fluid combinations to no avail.

Since my e12 5sp parts car didn’t happen (flaky seller) I’m going the easy route.

I would like to find a known good getrag 4speed. If anyone has one from a 5speed swap laying around and is willing to part with it let me know. I know shipping is a pain so I’m willing to travel within reason of NJ.

I’m planning on driving the Bav to The Vintage in May and I won’t do it with this current trans.

Thanks,

John M

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why not get it rebuilt, I had a 5spd getrag box rebuilt for about £1000 about 10 yrs ago. Don't know how that compares with replacement cost

Appreciate you're not in the uk but All Gears (Worksop) did a great job

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’ve asked 2 BMW mechanics and neither knows of any shops willing to rebuild units as old as this.

Bavman

Reaction score
I have a known good 4spd ZF...pretty sure the driveshaft is the same as the getrag....$300

I may have a Getrag in a month or so also.

You can email me at [email protected], I can get it to NJ pretty easily as I have trucks going from the track to the Philly area on a regular basis.

Thanks

Al Taylor

ahab

Site Donor
Reaction score
John,

I have a 262 4-sp from my 73 Bavaria and live about a half hour from Trenton. Full disclosure I've never driven this gearbox however it had 100k on it when removed, and was pulled n favor of a 265 swap. I know both previous owners of the car and there were no gearbox issues when I acquired it.

Let me know if it doesn't work out with Al.

Aaron

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a known good 4spd ZF...pretty sure the driveshaft is the same as the getrag....$300

I may have a Getrag in a month or so also.

You can email me at [email protected], I can get it to NJ pretty easily as I have trucks going from the track to the Philly area on a regular basis.

Thanks

Al Taylor

Al,
I’m intrigued by the ZF. I’m was wanting to stick to the Getrag since I replaced all the shifter linkage bushes and I know won’t have any fitment issues. I’ll email you.

Can anyone verify that the ZF bolts to the later style e12 belhousing and stock 74 drive shaft?

Thanks,

John

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe there is only one bell housing for e3s thru 1977 so these fit ZF and Getrag. Real OEM shows no application to e12 which uses the later style slave cylinder.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I believe there is only one bell housing for e3s thru 1977 so these fit ZF and Getrag. Real OEM shows no application to e12 which uses the later style slave cylinder.
Chris,
My bell housing has the bolt up clutch slave, which I guess e3/e9’s swiched to this style some time in 1974.
Real OEM show no change in the drive shaft in the e3 production run so I’m thinking the ZF should bolt in.

58AADC11-4063-4B23-82BE-2FBCB84638FF.png