WTB E9 automatic speedometer cable

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a five speed conversion and my cable failed recently. Does anyone have a spare they can sell?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i've got a brand new 4 speed cable. if i remember correctly, SFDon says the 4 speed cable fits.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well it looks like the price has gone up of late ... i will sell my spare new one for what i paid for it - 65 bucks plus shipping. it has the grommet on it. now lists for 128.06 / getbmwparts price 102.45. the part number is 62121810623 (still has the bmw part tag on it)

Attachments

• e9 speedo cable price.jpg
    e9 speedo cable price.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 65

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
But then there's that

You're right it does, my existing cable went right into the 5 speed.

My understanding is that the longer Auto cable is needed because of the stresses of using the 4 speed cable in the 5 speed transmission. This would likely cause premature failure.

Carl at La Jolla charged me $77.11 for a new one recently.

Ian

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks all for the information and @rsporsche especially for your kind offer. However, the 023 part number is for the manual four speed and I have that one on the shelf from before the five speed installation. As I recall, the four speed cable was just a bit too short and my parts car was an automatic so we installed that one. It fit perfectly and worked fine until our last tour two weeks ago.

My next step is to call Carl, which I'll do tomorrow. I used the auto cable primarily because Carl recommended it in his tutorial located in our tech archives:

http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/5speed.html

Again, thanks for the advice and information....I love this forum!