Wooden gear knob

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any clues where i can source a new wooden gear knob with the BMW emblem to match my interior wood ?

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Happy New Year to you DeQuincy

How is the internal thread ? mine has become loose over the years (as well as the finish deteriorating) I'd hope to get a nice tight fit with a replacement

Can you PM me some images ?

Many thanks

loloe13

Reaction score
Christopher:

any 'reconditioned' parts coming from deQuincey will likely be as good as new !! I wish I have asked him before.... ;-)

FYI too, I bought a couple reconditioned shift knobs from Erik -Coupeking before and they were very nice too, few colours and size to choose from.

Gavin

not a new one, but a renewed one in very good condition, yes !

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful shift knobs

I was at Coupe King in Wilmington CA a few months ago and saw that they have about a dozen shift knobs that are the classic style to match our cars.

Try contacts them

Happy New Year

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
original shift knobs

thanks gavin, and thanks and happy new year to you chris, and to all...

these two are original preowned parts, dont know why, but they are different, not only in colour, but in shape too

pomotras_zps9ed282c3.jpg

pomosdelante_zpsc0dd2d47.jpg

the one that came with my coupe (not pictured), is like the less massive one, the size of the hole is the same for all of them

Last edited:

Stefan

Reaction score
Any clues where i can source a new wooden gear knob with the BMW emblem to match my interior wood ?

Since the wooden interior wasn't of the exactly same sort of wood over the E9 years the matches are individual.
Long time UV/sun exposed interior would also probably make different "tan" of the wood.

My interior goes more in the bright like in dQ's pics. My new Nardi wheel was 100% match!!! In fact my original gear knob that's to dark. Possible due to active E9 driving... :)

When I go to meetings with mostly BMW folks I normally use the original shift knob without BMW label ( Boring knob really..)

When going to large meetings (+500 vintage cars, mostly not BMW) and I'm pimping my lady with the BMW labelled gear knob and cross spoke rims. And that's all what's needed to be loved by almost every car freak :)

Last edited:

RogerB

Reaction score
thanks gavin, and thanks and happy new year to you chris, and to all...

these two are original preowned parts, dont know why, but they are different, not only in colour, but in shape too

pomotras_zps9ed282c3.jpg

pomosdelante_zpsc0dd2d47.jpg

the one that came with my coupe (not pictured), is like the less massive one, the size of the hole is the same for all of them

I have always associated the smaller one with 2002s, although they fit both. The larger one shown is the same style as on my CSL but without the Roundel and I believe it to be the correct one as shown in the CSL sales brochure. Just my thoughts. {:>) RB

Stefan

Reaction score
Here is the non labelled gear knob when car left the factory towards newer one with BMW label. There's a different in shape as well. Also the structure in the wood isn't the same.
Sad to say but the original knob looks similar to "homemade".

Daily driving and visiting the meetings without E9 nerds I use the labelled knob... :)

Attachments

• DSC_0353.jpg
    DSC_0353.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_0354.jpg
    DSC_0354.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 169

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have both and prefer the logo'd one

Here is the non labelled gear knob when car left the factory towards newer one with BMW label. There's a different in shape as well. Also the structure in the wood isn't the same.
Sad to say but the original knob looks similar to "homemade".

Daily driving and visiting the meetings without E9 nerds I use the labelled knob... :)

Honolulu

Reaction score
Hmmmm

For those not obsessed with OE, a person with minor wood skills or high school shop class could turn (literally, as in on a lathe) dozens of shift knobs in a day. Then epoxy in a nut with threads to match the metal gear selector, and you're good to go.

A creative pal, long ago, made an AMAZING shift knob of ebony. It was a thing to envy.

YMMV

mario1017

Reaction score
my shift know is the skinner one with a logo in it. pretty well worn. it actually had leather wrapped that was falling off, so I peeled it off, and now its wood... maybe that is the reason for the skinny ones, people just peeled the leather off it??
my car is a 71 2800cs ...US spec.

alanmcg

Reaction score
ill make em

i can make these by the truckload (i am lucky to own a VERY well equipped woodshop), and the turning, and finishing time would be way less than an hour per. i can make them out of whatever wood you want, and finished per your spec (gloss, satin, etc). cost will be the wood blank ($10ish for exotic wood like ebony, $5ish for walnut, etc) + cost of roundel. i will need to find a source for the roundel, so if anyone can point me to a source that would be great.

nc for labor, so would expect whole thing to be $25 or less.

this will be me paying it forward for all the great help and knowledge ive received from this great group.

loloe13

Reaction score
That will be a great idea!!

but you may also need to find a source for the plastic threaded sleeve to go on the inside of the gear knob. I have been looking around for the sleeves for a while with no luck, as I have two older knobs at home waiting to be re-conditioned but they are both missing the inner plastic sleeve.

I have spoken to that eBay seller in the past, have never managed to win any of his gear knobs yet. the seller was quite friendly and did say he makes the knobs himself. They do look decent though (in picture anyway)

gavin

i can make these by the truckload (i am lucky to own a VERY well equipped woodshop), and the turning, and finishing time would be way less than an hour per. i can make them out of whatever wood you want, and finished per your spec (gloss, satin, etc). cost will be the wood blank ($10ish for exotic wood like ebony, $5ish for walnut, etc) + cost of roundel. i will need to find a source for the roundel, so if anyone can point me to a source that would be great.

nc for labor, so would expect whole thing to be $25 or less.

this will be me paying it forward for all the great help and knowledge ive received from this great group.