Wiper speed switch 73 3.0CS USA April 73 mfr

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wonder if someone can help me understand the wiring of this switch that mounts on the console. I'm having all sorts of wiper issues.

There are 6 terminals on the back of the switch. (Blue book wiring diagram shows this but photo of the switch shows only 3).

53 - black/yellow to terminal 53 of wiper motor
52b - black/white to terminal 53b of wiper motor
53e - black/violet to wiper & wash interval control unit (Where is this and what does it look like??)
W - black to plug connector of turn indicator and then to W terminal of turn indicator, parking light & wiper-washer switch
F - black/red to F terminal of wiper-washer interval control unit
15b - black/blue to wiper-washer interval control unit

Here's what I get when checking for continuity across terminals on the speed switch:

In [down] position (interval operation) - no continuity anywhere
1st position out (normal speed) - continuity between 53b and 53e; W and F
2nd position out (high speed) - continuity between 53 and 53e; W and F

When the wipers worked at all, they would only come on when the switch was fully out .

Is my continuity as it should be?

Which is the power terminal feeding the switch?

If someone would tell me what each terminal should control I would be appreciative.

Is there a "master" terminal number guide for switches like there is for relays?

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
The wiper intermittent relay is under the dash, left side. It is the biggest of the four or five relays there.
Have you checked for voltage at the wiper motor connection? If you have voltage there, maybe the problem is with the motor. The wiper motor in my '74 was frozen...the magnets were crumbling apart and the fragments jammed the armature. I suspect with the age of the motors now this is a common problem.
Taking the motor apart is easy...getting it back together is difficult (there are three brushes to deal with, for one thing..)