wing window remove / reinstall

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The chrome around the wing windows of my coupe are not in the best of shape. I can get a nice pair from a parts car but cannot figure out how to remove.

DeQuincey alert.... need pictures to identify which bolts to remove and any tips on technique will be helpful.

STan

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan,

Actually, there are two rivets. Open the door and look along the front edge of the outer frame by the hinge, you can't miss them. You will also need to pull the door card inorder to remove the bolt that holds the bottom of the wing window. What I am not sure about is whether standard blind rivets will work. They typically require some space behind them which may not be there. I encountered this issue in a few other places on the car.

Isn't this a winter project?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
dq to the rescue....

here you are a pic of the suspicious subject

the rivets

080320135132_zps2ae9fd40.jpg

and the assembly

080320135139_zpse81e4fc7.jpg

as it has been said, first remove door card to have access to the hexagonal bolt that holds the lower part of the window frame and likns it to the mechanism

be aware that the mechanism has a plate that holds the thing in place, and that you will have to slightly undo a small phillips headed screw, check it in post #22 of the same thread:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13485&page=3

it is critical, do not hesitate to ask questions, you will see two holes to access this bolts, one is big for the hexagonal bolt, abd the other small, for the phillips headed bolt, be careful

once the bolts are undone, drill out the two rivets on the top, and then the triang window is free to pop out, you will need to bend and force a bit do not worry

remark, i found almost impossible to remove the glass from the chromed trip, it is glued !

good luck

remark, get the mechanisms from the parts car too, the are highly NLA !

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will not remove the wing window. I am replacing the whole assembly.
I dont think rivets are part of that process...

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I guess we all misunderstood you. Must be that Boston twang in your voice...

So to remove the entire front triangular section is a lot more work.

Pull off outer chrome along top of door,

Remove inner panel stuff,

remove main window glass (you might be able to leave it sitting inside the door, not sure),

There are two bolts near the front top of the door panel, accessed from inside that secure the triangle assembly. There is also a bolt a bit down along the front edge (in a long slot). And one bolt at the bottom to remove. Note the bolt's positions before removing. In addition to holding the assembly in place they also provide fore/aft and side/side adjustment.

IIRC, I think the vent window turning mechanism can remain attached to the door. You will need to unbolt it from the spindle at the bottom of the turning triangle window. You may have to loosen the bolts holding it to the door framing for some maneuvering room.

Will you replace the vent window gasket (the one on the main frame)? PITA btw.

Attachments

• TopBolts.jpg
    TopBolts.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 148
  • BottomBolt.jpg
    BottomBolt.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 133