Windshield wiper assembly

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/ClassicCoupe/DSCN3449.jpg
What I hope you will see is the end of the windshield wiper mechanism that protrudes through the body of the car and my fingers holding the splined bit that came off.

Is there some cir clip or something that hold the end in my fingers to the part protruding from the body (to the right of my fingers?) Is it just a press fit??

Thanks!

Stan

alanmcg

Reaction score
Poor design

It is a press fit. on the underside of the arm is a small clip that is supposed to catch the slot at the bottom of the post - its fragile, poorly designed, and breaks easily - which then results in the whole (expensive and nla) thing coming flying off the car the first time you use the wipers, and additionally in my case, scratching the side of the car as it exited.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It is a press fit. on the underside of the arm is a small clip that is supposed to catch the slot at the bottom of the post - its fragile, poorly designed, and breaks easily - which then results in the whole (expensive and nla) thing coming flying off the car the first time you use the wipers, and additionally in my case, scratching the side of the car as it exited.

+1, only press

and yes, you have to introduce it only until it levels the potruding axis to leave a gap behind that will catchs the wiper arm

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks guys but Stan's question is this: is there a circlip on the post, not the wiper, that keeps the post from retreating into the body? We know about the clip on the arm. His post is wobbling up and down in the body.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My driver side has more post movement through the hole than I'd like, it moves about 3 mm, it does not wobble in the hole...passenger side is fine.

Don't see a clip in the drawing:
http://bmwmobiletradition-onlinecom...el=3435&mospid=47811&btnr=61_1159&hg=61&fg=45

In 'The Book':
page 61-61-1

The connecting link and drive rod are press fit.

Also, when the wipers are parked they should be set 1-2mm (0.4-0.8 in.) from the windshield surround.

61porsche

Reaction score
The secret bushing

is in Stan's fingers. It sits inside the "nipple" or pipe. The pivot snaps in a groove or socket in that bushing. Lube it back up ( high temp lithium, etc.), put it in, force the pivot back (while holding that bushing down with a screwdriver, etc.) in if I'm understanding what you're asking and it's just flopping.

There's an 02 faq on it.

My driver's side has a little play too and needs cleaned and greased for posterity. My guess is that bushing over time wears on the end. Perhaps a small washer/ nylon, and lots of grease to fill that puppy up and keep water/ dirt out. I'll put it on the list since I just fixed my oil leak ( I hope- don't want to change the head gasket for a minor leak on the timing cover) and need to run the car tomorrow.

What's on an 02 but not E9 are two little rubber bushings between the nuts to protect the paint/ keep rust from forming in the shaft. Looks like an o-ring would work or maybe just one on top of the shaft.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry, we know the bushing goes over the shaft as a press fit. It appears that the driver side has a small ring/bushing with a step that fits on the drive shaft under this bushing. There is no lateral wobble, the movement is up and down. We see no groove in that bushing to snap onto the shaft. I will shove it back on and see what happens though.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, there is definitely a small L-shaped ring on the shaft under the bushing. It is back on, flush like the other side, and the shaft still moves up and down. Don't have my orange parts book, anyone have one handy? It is not on the current diagrams for sure. Thanks.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. Without some kind of washer the shaft will move up and down. The restoration shop removed the wiper and pulled the toothed bushing from top of the drive spindle by mistake, it was stuck inside the wiper arm.