Which radio and antena should I use

Matt McCall

Site Donor
Reaction score
Friends,
It is time for a radio and Antenna. I will mount the antenna on the left rear fender. Does anyone have a sugestion for which radio and antenna to use and where to get them?

Matt

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMHO, punching a hole in the fender of an E9 should be against the law. :mad:

If you REALLY need tunes in a car that has an engine that already makes beautiful music, I'd consider a period correct vintage radio like a Blaupunkt Frankfort with an adapter to access your iPhone music library or your music/podcast streaming accounts. No need for an antenna this way. I'd also make sure I wasn't cutting up the package tray, door panels, etc. to mount speakers or an amplifier.

Keep in mind that with the wind, road and engine noise and the minimal sound deadening in a vintage BMW, whatever you do is not going to sound great.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Call it done.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While I have an antenna on my driver’s side front fender, it never goes up. I don’t use am/fm but I do use the original Becker hooked to an amp and subwoofer via a wireless bluetooth for all my audio. The sub makes a huge difference. I love the look of the vintage radio in the dash. That said, I also love the look of a driver’s side rear quarter panel antenna mounted so when extended it’s at a 45 degree angle.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Friends,
It is time for a radio and Antenna. I will mount the antenna on the left rear fender. Does anyone have a sugestion for which radio and antenna to use and where to get them?

Matt

you probably do not need it,
and music is overrated

but it looks nice

the 45deg thing…it is probably 60deg, but…

4EB8C152-1C5E-4CBF-B3F6-B936B87B6D85.jpeg

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There's little more I dislike on the outside of a car than a long antenna. Those Jags in the 80s-90s just killed me for that reason. But above all.. who listens to the car radio these days? I'd delete all that vestigial stuff and have a sick completely hidden sound system that is based on your phone.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There's little more I dislike on the outside of a car than a long antenna. Those Jags in the 80s-90s just killed me for that reason. But above all.. who listens to the car radio these days? I'd delete all that vestigial stuff and have a sick completely hidden sound system that is based on your phone.
Agreed, I guess I like the period vestigial stuff :p

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am having an antenna installed inside my car (in the dash). The antenna is grounded through the coax shield and the antenna picks up what it needs to.
I don't plan on doing much with the radio once I get the car - but I would like it to at least work.

I had a friend who installed a thin wire antenna inside the rear glass of his 2002 (used scotch tape and ran the wire up and around like they do for most modern cars). Worked well enough for him.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Friends,

Matt
There are many radio, antenna threads.

You can choose there

First decisión would be if you want originality or other requiremients, it is a multifacetic question

I love how the automatic antenna deploys, also the line that shapes in the car profile, and last but not least the powerful reception capacities of the old gear, I have a blaupunkt.

Speakers aesthetics might be also relevant, as to the grilles and location, just consider the whole package

radio, manual antenna and speaker grilles

other ideas...

Last edited:

mr bump

Reaction score
Got to be the blaupunkt Berlin swans neck, or the sqrt cd player swans neck combo. I have one in my E9 and with blaupunkt speakers, not only do they look the part, but have a great sound.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got to be the blaupunkt Berlin swans neck, or the sqrt cd player swans neck combo. I have one in my E9 and with blaupunkt speakers, not only do they look the part, but have a great sound.
The CD player didn't come along until the mid 1980s. If you are going to use newer technology, you might as well go all the way and not stop at 40 year old stuff.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's my Coupe setup with the European Blaupunkt Frankfurt & Mark 2 - Out of Sight Audio behind the radio. I don't even need to turn the Frankfurt on.

My electric antenna was mounted in the left rear fender by a previous owner & has never worked during my ownership.

I disconnected the electric antenna in my 1988 M5, it was annoyingly loud both ways & I never listen to the radio. Replaced the guts of it with a Cantaloupe Bluetooth System.

IMG_5690.jpeg

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Retrosound has a new Becker Europa faceplate that is compelling. I know it looks like it is DIN mount but if you look at the owners manual I'm pretty sure that DIN mount is optional:

One of us can work on a sticker that says "Becker Europa" instead of just "Europa"

Last edited:

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is also this, it's been around for a while the previous entry is about 1/2 the price: