Where to obtain performance E9 coil/overs

budge96

Reaction score
New to CS chassis ,had E34 M5 ,E24 M6, current DD E39 M5 looking for

coil over set up ie narrow spring to run larger rim and tire..maybe 18/19.

What does Alpina set up for front look like? Thanks Bert

de coupe

Reaction score
Coil overs

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=64568

The above link has a car with 18" on it 9.5 in the rear 8" up front with a 265 35 18 in the rear. Does not rub or interfere with travel at all. I do have them on my car as well no problem thus far. Ireland Engineering sold both sets I forgot what wieght we did use. I do however have a suggestion when installing, reinforce the rear shock tower, with a dounut on top and some type of plate that extend down to the floor. The front shock tower is much more stable. and doesnt need to be reinforced.

I my personal observation is that the ride height and the look of the car is awsome

If you want to take a look and are in Southern Cal please let me know. Good luck with your build and if you need more assistance please let me know.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
de coupe..
I called Ireland engineering some time ago and asked about there coil-overs.Forgot who i talked to .was not the boss man..He told me they didn't have a Rear coil-over setup.They used a bilstein shock and a 5" by 10 " spring that i had to cut, for the Rear.
What is your setup?

I have My car setup on.
Ground Control Camber Plates
Koni Shocks / Eibach 2.5 springs

Thanks Barry

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=64568
I do however have a suggestion when installing, reinforce the rear shock tower, with a dounut on top and some type of plate that extend down to the floor. The front shock tower is much more stable. and doesnt need to be reinforced.
The top of the rear shock towers is definitely an E9 weak point.

Back in the 80's when the CS Register newsletter was the principle source of E9 information sharing, fractured rear shock tower tops was a frequent issue.

Maybe they all got repaired back then, as I am surprised that this no longer seems to come up.

de coupe

Reaction score
Coil over

The rear set up was supplied by Ireland "talk to Jeremy" I think we did use 300lbs springs but I am un sure of that. I did fit the coil over to bilstien sport shocks and had rest done by my mechanic I think the shock has to be fabbed and a collet needs to be fitted to it. I think the rear is easyer than the front. It was some time ago. Any other help that I can provide please let me know....

Daniel (951) 926-7002

de coupe

Reaction score
A liitle off the subject but what the $%@#

The early e24 79 and older can some one tell me if the rear trailing arms are better to use because of the shock mount. It being in a different location which would in turn provide more stablity in the use of coil over. And can you use the rear trailing arms in a coupe. I do know most people here dont use coil over and gasp at the thought. But since were on the subect what the hell

budge96

Reaction score
Really I just assumed E9 chassis has coil overs (OEM) simply not a high
performance weight or size.
presently waiting on shipping of car so no rush,just some early research.
Apparently early on Carl did some suspension work to get the car I bought
back up to snuff mechanically.
I will make some cosmetic repairs while car is out west before heading east,
thanks Bert

threewebers

Reaction score
rearcoilovers

I have coilovers in the rear of my track/project car with 16x8 alpinas which had to be spaced out alot and i still have minimal clearance I also ran the cage and gussets to the upper shock mount and mounted the trailing arm end of the shock in double sheer as it will take all the load now.If you look at some photos of e9 race cars you can see where they moved the upper mounts inward into the rear package tray.the mounts are visible through the rear window. lots o work!