Wheels, Tyres & Suspension Question

RandomPunter

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a new 3.0 CS Auto.
I am looking to fit the below and had some questions.

WHEELS:
Alpina 16" Rims - Stepped 7' (Front) & 8" Rear
Tyres: Front 205 55 16 and Rear 225 55 16 (Am I correct in thinking I need 55 tyre height here? And what hot weather tyres do you lot run with?)

Aside from the Alpina's, which are nice but damn expensive, what do you think on the Aftermarket ones? Any recommendation on the other options in 16 Inch?
https://www.ebay.it/itm/4-Cerchi-BM...5x120-5-6-7er-Wheels-Felgen-TUV-/322708157909

SUSPENSION:
Planning to get some Gaz Gold fully adjustables front and rear as recommend by someone else. I went for Bilstien on my old M3 E30 but for the E9 any thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Although Chris is correct about the sharp edges, I think your options are fairly limited and for the price those will likely pass the visual test- especially when they're dirty. You may also want to consider using the 7" all around- you can put the 225 tires on them and you can also rotate them front to back.

Regarding the suspension, I'm not familiar with Gaz Gold fully adjustable but I can tell you with the Bilstein and the CN Springs combined with the 16 inch wheels the ride is a bit stiff (not harsh) IMO. If you're cruising at 60 MPH+ the stiffness is great but just know the feel is a little different than stock- most people like it though I think.

Good luck, lots of folks here have experimented with suspensions on their e9's so you'll have plenty to read. :)

RandomPunter

Reaction score
You will want to use a 225/50/16 tire...

Why do you say 50 and 55 out of interest? I got that measurement from Powder wheels in Europe who seems to supply alot of Alpina rins. You think clearance might be an issue then? Or just cosmetic look?

RandomPunter

Reaction score
Sorry lads, I don't see what ratio has to do with it. Keen to understand why this is recommended though so thanks for the comments. .

I am a newbie to this forum on E9s but not on classic cars and have had a lot of classics and newer cars.

Width is width. 205..225 ..
Height is 50 or 55 and height is the distance from the wheel rim to the edge of the tyre. Why would I need to run a smaller circumference on the rear? Valid question. Thanks

RandomPunter

Reaction score
Ahh Haa, noted. Thanks mate. I never really paid that much attention to the ratio till now as I usually stick with the stock wheels on cars and what is recommend by manufacturer.

That's what forums are for! Cheers mate.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ahh Haa, noted. Thanks mate. I never really paid that much attention to the ratio till now as I usually stick with the stock wheels on cars and what is recommend by manufacturer.

That's what forums are for! Cheers mate.

I like that you were confidently incorrect. My kind of wrong. :D I must admit that it is a bit confusing. Think about it. You have the wheel diameter in 7th century inches, a width in metric millimeters, and the height as a metric ratio of the width. For years I just claimed total ignorance until I finally needed to pay attention. Now I feel compelled to stuff the widest wheels possible under my fender, for no good reason other than to make my life difficult. :D