What's the dumbest thing you've ever done putting your car back together?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For me, after a full day of Don's homework, an oil change and some other minor work this weekend in typical for August 90 degree + humidity Virginia heat, I took her out for a test drive. Everything went well through the sub-division and then, what the hell, I was only getting 25% throttle at most once I got on the main roads here, no matter what the peddle stroke. I started to panic thinking my routing of the new silicon rubber manifold pressure tubing to the Megasquirt ECU (another Don recommendation) was kinked somewhere or maybe that same tubing that runs through the log manifold was jamming the throttle cable rod.

I got home and looked under the hook and, if you inspect closely, look at the two stainless clamps on the intake to throttle plate rubber connector that were so nicely positioned and shiny on the right side near the throttle assembly.

Well, one of them was completely obstructing the throttle mechanism's pivot past 25% or so.

Doh!

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    451 KB · Views: 89

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I installed the rear wheel bearing and hub and forgot to install the backing plate. Had to take the whole thing apart.

Actually I can’t even begin to think of the countless things of done only to discover that I left something out. However I’ve never forgotten the ice in my cocktail.

Last edited:

stphers

Reaction score
Not a BMW but a Porsche 911 Did a clutch job ( record time ) and jumped into it to start the engine and when the key went to start, all you heard was the starter pinion whirring away No start on a 911 the ring gear is a separate thing and is reused with a new clutch assembly Knew what it was right away and especially so when I looked over at the bench and the ring ger was sitting there So much for the record time BIG DOH !

And the time when I was an apprentice and working at a BMW and Brutish Leyland dealer The BMW rep was up and we were yapping back and forth while I had to finish a head gasket on an old Austin Marina I am starting to adjust the valves when the BMW rep holds up the new head gasket and asked me if there was a new trick in British head gaskets I asked him if maybe he could have mentioned something sooner , No, wanted t see if I was going to try and start it without the head gasket That was a late night

Thanks, Rick

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Years ago I got distracted and forgot to torque the lug nuts on one wheel of a small vacation trailer before the start of a vacation. An hour into the vacation we exited to a city street and the person behind us pulled up and told us we had a wobbly wheel. No damage was done except for a lost lug nut. Could have been catastrophic. I check torque twice since then!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My BMW master mechanic (not kidding) forgot to install the input shaft for the distributor on the CSL. I noticed as we were literally about to re-install the motor in the car. Always a worry when they give you a box of left over parts. These days I try to do the work myself and/or get @sfdon online support service :)

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a BMW but a Porsche 911 Did a clutch job ( record time ) and jumped into it to start the engine and when the key went to start, all you heard was the starter pinion whirring away No start on a 911 the ring gear is a separate thing and is reused with a new clutch assembly Knew what it was right away and especially so when I looked over at the bench and the ring ger was sitting there So much for the record time BIG DOH !

And the time when I was an apprentice and working at a BMW and Brutish Leyland dealer The BMW rep was up and we were yapping back and forth while I had to finish a head gasket on an old Austin Marina I am starting to adjust the valves when the BMW rep holds up the new head gasket and asked me if there was a new trick in British head gaskets I asked him if maybe he could have mentioned something sooner , No, wanted t see if I was going to try and start it without the head gasket That was a late night

Thanks, Rick
ooh, been a long time since I heard an Austin Marina story! I've got one, but shall spare you. Missed you at Classic Garage today, Rick.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
mine wasn't after i was finished ... but after i dropped the tranny on my 2002 to replace the clutch. had all the parts ready to go and realized that i had loaned my alignment tool to a friend and this is in the early 80's in Houston when you couldn't just go to a parts store and buy a tool for a BMW. never got it back ... but when you only have one vehicle and the tranny is sitting on the ground. well you get the picture.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
mine wasn't after i was finished ... but after i dropped the tranny on my 2002 to replace the clutch. had all the parts ready to go and realized that i had loaned my alignment tool to a friend and this is in the early 80's in Houston when you couldn't just go to a parts store and buy a tool for a BMW. never got it back ... but when you only have one vehicle and the tranny is sitting on the ground. well you get the picture.
Yep, been there. How many times did it take to finally get it to line up? I'm not telling how long it took me, but talk about a euphoric feeling when it does!! (and yes we're still talking about cars here)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is a mixed bag. Sometimes the dumbest thing was to do it myself. Other times the dumbest thing was to let somebody else do it.

Ergo: The solution is to have somebody else do things under your supervision. In other words be the BOSS.
Need to go, my wife wants me to take out the trash and fix a faucet :).

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, been there. How many times did it take to finally get it to line up? I'm not telling how long it took me, but talk about a euphoric feeling when it does!! (and yes we're still talking about cars here)
it took about 4 or 5 times. we ended up cutting off a broom handle, building it up with some tape and use some forceful molding into the proper fit.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I painted an entire car without adding hardener. Had to sand it all off and start over.

That should at least get me on the podium!
I have a Hartge H5S project here that is being repainted after a similar issue when it was painted 10 years ago. Can scratch the clear with your fingers! Buffed right back though. a strong thinner takes the paint off.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a Hartge H5S project here that is being repainted after a similar issue when it was painted 10 years ago. Can scratch the clear with your fingers! Buffed right back though. a strong thinner takes the paint off.
You'd think anything would bake on in Phoenix.