What's old is new again

corsachili

Reaction score
It's a slow rainy Sunday here in the Bay Area and I can't do much on any of my projects, so I thought I'd talk a little about my plans.

As you may have read, a few months back I decided to convert my beloved CSL back to stock. For those of you that have seen my car, you know that when I restored it I made several changes to the car, which while perhaps not changing the essence of the car, are a bit of a departure from the original vision. I chose to not install the wheel arch trim, which I still consider to be an abomination from both a styling as well as functional perspective. I installed 16" Alpinas, lowered the car's stance (although not excessively), a strut brace, relocated the battery to the trunk, and to the horror of some, replaced the original wood veneer with carbon fiber. At one point I was considering installing an S38 motor, and even bought one with this in mind.

The car drives well, has good handling for a machine of its vintage, and despite having pretty fat shoes, is almost painless to drive in parking lot speeds with its non power steering.

I don't know when it happened, but in the last 6 months or so I just got tired of E9s with lowered suspensions and 16 inch wheels on them. Don't get me wrong, I think they look great in that trim, but they're the rule rather than the exception. Cars with original ride height, the tall sidewall tires, and 14" wheels such as Tom Rakestraw's, look unique and aesthetically pleasing to me. I'm quite happy to give up some handling performance now that I have the M6 to drive, and I feel good knowing that I've returned the car to its roots. It also gives me something to do, but let's be honest, I'm in no shortage of things to do.

Step 1 was to get my 14" Alpinas refinished and tomorrow I pick up my newly painted wheels, shod with original size rubber.

Step 2 will be to install the original springs, which I plan to do in the coming week.

Step 3 will be to refinish a new set of wood trim, in original French Walnut. I've acquired a full set of wood and will begin that project soon

Step 4 will be to have the original wheel arch trim polished and re-installed, despite the fact that I think they're stupid.

Step 5 will be to revert to non-AC center console, which will require me to find a good one of these. If you have one in very good condition that you're willing to sell or trade for an AC center console, please let me know.

I may even go so far as to move the battery back to the engine bay where it belongs.

All of this will result in me having some parts for sale, including a W&N strut brace as well as some other bits. The 16 inch Alpinas are sold already.

I'll post the parts in the proper area of the forum, so if you're looking for anything for your E9 check in frequently as I divest myself of some of my parts inventory.

I'm hoping to have the car's "re-transformation" completed by the Spring and the coming car show season.

Now if it would just stop raining.

-tj in Los Gatos

Tierfreund

Reaction score
I applaud you on your decision. While I enjoy seeing some nice mods on our cars, I think most times stock looks and feels best.

Fine old cars (especially good ones, Italian, German, some English) tend to be like a classical symphony. Sure, cranking up the horn section can give the piece more swing, but hey, if you want swing, go for Benny Goodman right away and leave Strauß alone...

Sort of...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting that the pendulum is swinging back to stock for you. If it ever comes to a stop, I guess it would be with 15 inch rims and the battery in the glove box...

Look forward to the deconstruction pictures.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
What 14" tires are you going to use?

A buddy has an entirely stock 2002tii, complete to the Michelin XAS tires. It is fun to drive, except for the tires. Sort of amazing how little grip they have.

I don't know of any good 14" tires and am curious what you chose.

Mark B

Reaction score
two things

my .02 cents,

I'd leave the battery in the trunk, as that can be moved anytime, and it makes sense to be in the rear.

I'd also leave off the wheel arch trim. Was it stock on all CSL cars? I never understood that addition. like an early experiment in Bling.

I remember the carbon fiber dash, I'm sure it will grace another coupe though, it really looks nice.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Re: two things

Mark B said:
my .02 cents,

I'd also leave off the wheel arch trim. Was it stock on all CSL cars? I never understood that addition. like an early experiment in Bling.

They were tacked on to cover the wider stance of the CSL (through the 14x7 inch wheels at ET11 compared to the stock 6x14 ET22 even though both were shod with 195/70R14 tires). The outer edge of the tire was almost 20mm more out than on the non CSL.

There is a law in germany than only a limited part of the tire may be not covered by the fender. Which is why for example the original Mazda Miata, when sold over here had small wheelarch extensions tacked to the back of the rear wheelarches.

Not really bling then but much more mundane...

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Bill Riblett said:
What 14" tires are you going to use?

A buddy has an entirely stock 2002tii, complete to the Michelin XAS tires. It is fun to drive, except for the tires. Sort of amazing how little grip they have.

I don't know of any good 14" tires and am curious what you chose.

In Europe at least there is an excellent and not to expensive tire available in the original 195/40 VR14 format. Basically the old format with a modern rubber mixture.
It´s the Fulda Carat Assuro.

http://www.fulda.com/fulda_de_de/our_tires/classic_line/Assuro.jsp

They´re about 100€ per tire.

I have them on my E3 and I regularly run circles around modern cars. (albeit heeling like an old shooner - amazing how much grip is still to be found at almost 15 deg of lean. Maybe I should consider some swaybars just stop gawking at that most strage display...) :wink:

Reaction score
Could it be wheel arch trim was there for homologation i.e. to enable more radical flares for racers? Although some earlier 2800cs racers already had quite bulky flares. Go figure...

corsachili

Reaction score
I've chosen rather pedestrian tires I'm afraid; Pirelli P4 All Seasons. Not that I'd ever drive it in the rain, but none of the other tires available in the original size seemed right. It just seemed wrong to put Sumitomo tires on her. I'm not going to drive this car the way I used to. Those of you that know me know I'm a racer, and I usually drive or ride all my vehicles like I stole 'em. At least one of my friends, who's also a member of this esteemed forum is always nervous when he gets in the car with me. With the CSL on stock wheels, springs and suspension geometry I will have to slow down, which is a good thing. As an analogy, I used to race a Ducati 916 with AFM here in Northern California. I rarely rode it on the street, as I have a Norton Commando that was supposed to fulfill that duty. Moving from a 105 BHP at the rear wheel superbike to a 40 year old motorcycle with drum brakes and pogoey suspension was always an adjustment. I never really learned to slow down on the Norton either, and so I dry docked it and basically stopped riding on the street altogether. If I feel the need for aggressive driving I have the M6.

pmansson

Reaction score
Tires for your classic CSL: There is only one way to go: Michelin XWX 205/70 VR14. They are just about the same size as the original, NLA 195s of the 70s. This has been confirmed to me by a guy at www.longstonetyre.co.uk after looking in an old sales broschure.

I have them on several E9s and they look so good, esp from the front with the classic pattern. Fantastic on all surfaces.