What's in the mufflers?

Honolulu

Reaction score
I'm approaching time to fish or cut bait with my intermediate muff - the one over the right half shaft. The resonator parallel to the dshaft is okay, and the rear muff has had holes which I fiberglassed years ago. The glass is holding well enough.

We read that the Bosal replacement for the rear muff is out of stock everywhere. I suspect it will not be seen again if it was a coupe-specific item, unless someone comes upon a gold mine of old CS bits. Is there a Walker or Magnaflow counterpart/substitution that is relatively stock in size and angle? Not ready to spring for full stainless.

We read that the intermediate muff is commonly removed and replaced with a straight pipe (more accurately a curved unit) that goes either over or under the half shaft. I think I'd prefer the original routing over. Supposedly the intermediate muff can be thus replaced without noise consequences.

This gets me to thinking: what's in a muffler anyway? All the old cans I've taken off beaters I just hurled into the weeds. I THINK they consist of a can with perforated straight inlet and outlet pipes, and some rock or mineral wool between. Has anyone gone in for a look/see and can they report?

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Wasted 1/2 hour and 4 cut off discs today cutting a rear muffler in half.Well not really in half as couldn't cut thru ends but it seems this one,which looked OK from outside,was filled with the usual rust dust and some fiberglas wrapped around more rusting pipe.Also some empty acorn nuts for winter.Housing is remarkably sturdy but this one was never on a car and the internals still rusted away.