what mechanical works are you doing now that you are locked in your house

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This project is not really mechanical - more wood working and finishing - but something I knocked out this week. Complete strip, disassembly, sanded, reassembled and refinished this Mid Century Lane Acclaim coffee table. The date on it is June 16, 1962. :D We are loaning it to my mother in law and I thought it should represent better than it did before this work.
20200422_111917_resized.jpg

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
This project is not really mechanical - more wood working and finishing - but something I knocked out this week. Complete strip, disassembly, sanded, reassembled and refinished this Mid Century Lane Acclaim coffee table. The date on it is June 16, 1962. :D We are loaning it to my mother in law and I thought it should represent better than it did before this work.
Good looking table! I missed out on a matching Lane dining/coffee set on craigslist a while back. For the past few weeks, I've been building an MCM-inspired cabinet for the stereo. I'm at the test fit the legs and top stage now. I hope to get a car into the spot as soon as it's done and moved into the living room.
DSCN5974.JPG

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Chris! If you're referring to my garage, I assure you that it's temporary and because I moved everything out of the way to give me some room to work. Here's a couple more if I turn the camera around. I'm looking forward to the day that I use up all the wood and laminate so that I can get my work area back.
DSCN5986.JPG
DSCN5987.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Chris! If you're referring to my garage, I assure you that it's temporary and because I moved everything out of the way to give me some room to work. Here's a couple more if I turn the camera around. I'm looking forward to the day that I use up all the wood and laminate so that I can get my work area back.

I implemented a rule that I will no longer keep wood after my projects are done. I was amassing too much end cuts and saveable stuff. Now I put it out for free. My wood is construction grade. I keep my cedar, which does take up a bit of space.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just found out the base for the sculpture I volunteered to build for my friend Matt is too small. I used his measurements, and should have questioned them. Also ordered steel that is too thin for my trailer build. Other than that productivity is way down as I wander around muttering... but Happy enough. Loving Spotify.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can you do a how-to write up pls? My driver's door wood strip has a split at the rear, would love to fix rather than replace, but out of my skill zone
Would be happy to do so, once I figure it all out and get around to it. That may be my next woodworking project, but there might be years of metalworking projects in between.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, super impressed with your fountain! I built something similar at our old house but with only one bubbler rock. It was a pain to clean it every spring, so I like what you did.

I installed this at our new house, it weights over 500lbs. Way easier as far as maintenance goes.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I implemented a rule that I will no longer keep wood after my projects are done. I was amassing too much end cuts and saveable stuff. Now I put it out for free. My wood is construction grade. I keep my cedar, which does take up a bit of space.
...don't you have a fire pit?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks @vince! Anybody who has a column fountain probably knows how much of a pain they are to disassemble and clean. Now I can just slide the pillars over the pipe and remove the lid. I bought o-rings for the top but they weren’t really needed.

Your patio looks fantastic!

...don't you have a fire pit?

I have a gas one like Vince’s that I built last summer. I don’t burn my spare wood in it though. :D

Last edited:

Fredomatic

Reaction score
If my wife and kids needed to drive my coupe it would be restored by now! :D

Iteration #2 on my electric go-kart repair. Batteries
didn’t work. I had to put it up on a lift and perform a bare plastic restoration.
View attachment 89873

The 24v motor responded well to bypassing the drive-by-wire throttle, and the EMS system. The one-speed planetary gearbox was not stripped, but does look like a weak point if I add HP in the future.
View attachment 89874

Turns out that the throttle wire had started to frey, causing intermittent power. It eventually snapped. The wire needs to flex as the front wheel turns. After time it gives up inside the protective coil spring:
View attachment 89887

Soldering station. Removing the freyed negative
and the cut positive. Figure it is best to replace
both. This exercise reminded me how god awful my cheap iron is.View attachment 89888

Fredomatic

Reaction score
If my wife and kids needed to drive my coupe it would be restored by now! :D

Iteration #2 on my electric go-kart repair. Batteries
didn’t work. I had to put it up on a lift and perform a bare plastic restoration.
View attachment 89873

The 24v motor responded well to bypassing the drive-by-wire throttle, and the EMS system. The one-speed planetary gearbox was not stripped, but does look like a weak point if I add HP in the future.
View attachment 89874

Turns out that the throttle wire had started to frey, causing intermittent power. It eventually snapped. The wire needs to flex as the front wheel turns. After time it gives up inside the protective coil spring:
View attachment 89887

Soldering station. Removing the freyed negative
and the cut positive. Figure it is best to replace
both. This exercise reminded me how god awful my cheap iron is.View attachment 89888
Markos, I recognize that red battery connector. Are you upgrading the go cart with your R/C model parts? o_O :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, I recognize that red battery connector. Are you upgrading the go cart with your R/C model parts? o_O :)

Haha no! The red male pin connector came with the cart. The red battery terminals I just used heat shrink on. Harbor Freight sells a multi-pack if heat shrink. Ideally I would like it to cover the terminal but the last bits that I had left were too small.

Your camper is amazing @Fredomatic! Love the curtain job!

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Haha no! The red male pin connector came with the cart. The red battery terminals I just used heat shrink on. Harbor Freight sells a multi-pack if heat shrink. Ideally I would like it to cover the terminal but the last bits that I had left were too small.

Your camper is amazing @Fredomatic! Love the curtain job!

Interesting that they provided that style of battery connector. Those are a quality part upgrade for R/C battery systems.

Thanks regarding the trailer! My wife did the curtains. LA toile. :cool: I’ll pass along the compliment.