What did you do to your E9 today?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last weekend Drew and I went to the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden car show in Miami hosted by the South Florida Antique Car Club. 150 cars (6 BMW’s).

Check out the webers on the Ferrari parked near us. I will never complain again about trying
to sync my measly triples.

57DE5FA0-A9B6-46D5-8877-D10D1BC3FD4E.jpeg
0AC58220-F02E-4414-B1F6-A91F375C4904.jpeg
1FB7D4A1-37E2-4D45-833C-CF935E5276CE.jpeg
F56C9B30-42E3-4E19-94BD-8E1B84B4B3D2.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last weekend Drew and I went to the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden car show in Miami hosted by the South Florida Antique Car Club. 150 cars (6 BMW’s).

Check out the webers on the Ferrari parked near us. I will never complain again about trying
Looking good, boys :cool:

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't feel that a single photo warranted a new thread in the photo section, so...
IMG_5013.JPG

this is actually from last Sunday's pastry run. This is supposed to be a Porsche group but a few of us decided to drive something else. There are two Alfa Giulias parked in front of the garage door: one is 5280JB and the other is Ryan the Gnome, who was on the forum about 15 years ago when he had a CSI

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
people with taste in front of this shop - 5 p cars, 2 alfas a lancia delta integrale ... and the coupe (boxed in by the cayman and the lancia

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
someone asked about how to install an oil pressure gauge

i remember this setup

1701076150518.png

you use a T to install the actual sensor (only light warning), and you install a complete pressure sensor in the same point

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
This weekend I tried to focus on my main problem in my E9: my front inner fenders. I decided to dig in, untill my Dremel gave out, just before the fender was off.
So the welds in the door jamb are still in place, preventing me from lifting the fender off and checking what I got under there.
( oh how i hate those Dremel's: this is the 5th one that died on me - anyone uses something more durable? )

20231126_232932.jpg 20231126_232836.jpg

20231126_232756.jpg 20231126_232811.jpg

Last edited:

Breiti

Reaction score
I use an pressure grinder like that.
And a pressure mini saw.

Breiti

Attachments

• 20231127_191951.jpg
    20231127_191951.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 39

BarneyT

Site Donor
Reaction score
We use a battery powered small grinder/side cutter, and just use the Dremel for the small cuts…

Attachments

• IMG_8056.jpeg
    IMG_8056.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 38

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use an pressure grinder like that.
And a pressure mini saw.

Breiti
We call those die grinders this side of the pond.
I have an electric Craftsman version but they also come in pneumatic versions. They are high-speed like a Dremel but are more powerful. You will still go through cutters, but the tool should last for a long time, unlike the more delicate Dremel. There are many brands available.
The larger angle grinders could work for some tasks but are usually too large to fit a lot of places. IMHO.

Breiti

Reaction score
Ok, from those for sure I habe also.
Good to have a 115 and a 125.

But I think he ask only for the small narrow spots, didn't he?

Maybe that would be a nice thread.
Show me your tools.....

Breiti

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
someone asked about how to install an oil pressure gauge

i remember this setup

View attachment 172786

you use a T to install the actual sensor (only light warning), and you install a complete pressure sensor in the same point
I have this setup in my car. VDO still sells that sender, which both provides an output for the gauge and enables the dash light.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Careful, not mine

i mean there are two versions, mine only provides pressure reading,but not warning light
If there is a version that does pressure reading only, then there are three versions. First is the one that came with our cars that only triggers the warning light, second is your pressure reading gauge and third is the one I have which provides both gauge output and light output. I had thought because the picture shows two outputs that the sender was a combination sender for the gauge and light.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That dual wire sending unit in the pic above - I had that with my 2002 for many years (including it being at a similar location at the rear of the head).
As I recall - the dual sending unit replaced the original (light only) sending unit one. The threads were different between the two sending units, so an adapter was needed (maybe? I did this in 1984 or so... memory is fleeting - LOL). I do remember that the dual sending unit had markings on the top to indicate which terminal was for the gauge and what was for the light.

I think Don did a similar (but different location) set up for my car. He can chime in if desired....

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If there is a version that does pressure reading only, then there are three versions. First is the one that came with our cars that only triggers the warning light, second is your pressure reading gauge and third is the one I have which provides both gauge output and light output. I had thought because the picture shows two outputs that the sender was a combination sender for the gauge and light.
Not to mention different thread sizes. I have the dual gauge sender (gauge, idiot light) attached to the adapter that DeQ mentioned, but is not the correct thread for the head. This does provide easy clearance but you have to have the right crush washer thickness so it tightens and clocks correctly. I have noted that some installs have the dual sender directly on the head, which is a tight fit but one less leak point. This sender has the correct head threading. I am going to try this version when I put my engine back in, if it doesn't fit to my satisfaction I'll go back to the adapter setup. Classic looking VDO gauges and senders are getting harder to find.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes they are ... took me a while to find new series 1 gauges. what is really difficult to find are the electrical gauges - many people have the mechanical temperature and pressure gauges.

i am NOT convinced that the sender i bought (the only 100 psi sensor that VDO has). Steve, i know i will be needing to talk to you about what you know on the subject

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
on a different note - i have asked the guy i got my gauges from what else he has in series 1 (white needles) as well as vision chrome (red needles). when i get a response i will put up a new thread.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 172470View attachment 172471View attachment 172466View attachment 172469
Just a quick note about the "headlights-on"in my car--They are the 20-watt daytime running lights independently wired to my green foglight switch. They are the Hella City Light H4 headlights. You can see the city light in the reflector on the passenger side. Driving these low-profile cars need to be seen in traffic.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

good,

yes, three, but with the aspect of a bottle, two
the button one is easy to differenciate
point is that my “bottle” has two connectors, yes, but one is earth, you can see how it climbs up to the closest bolt, so only one output signal
BTW my system is Motometer