Attachments

• 948EBE4F-B9DF-443B-B5FE-77356937F643.jpeg
    948EBE4F-B9DF-443B-B5FE-77356937F643.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 149

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Finally got my coupe down to the shop for some needed work. Brake master, parking brake cables, welded the parking brake lever sheet metal, rebuilt my sport Recaros for better support and converted my passenger door from manual to power.

With the seats out I started thinking about changing the interior color. Polaris car with the dark blue interior. I hate it. My Recaros are black and I have black e24 rear buckets but the door cards are still blue. Most people don't notice or don't think it looks bad that way but I really don't like the dark blue. I'm thinking a saddle brown or something in the brown/tan palette. I think it looks good with Polaris but only a few colors work IMO.

I also figured out why there was only one parking brake cable on the car. I swapped the rear subframe years ago with a later disc brake setup but couldn't remember why there was only one cable. The sheet metal at the brake lever was torn and I kept putting off the welding because it's a PITA, so I never bothered to investigate the cable. Well, I took the rotor off and found no shoes or anything for the parking brake on that side. I looked in all my boxes and didn't find anything so I really don't know what happened. I think the car came that way and I was just lazy. Anyway, I found the new cable that never got used sitting on my shelf and the wrecking yard next door has an e21 with the parts I need. Should be on the road this week.

View attachment 144918

View attachment 144919
Dan - I used a leather plus leather dye to change the color of my seats and door cards. With the leather, you need to condition the leather and remove as much of the old dye as possible. On the other hand, the door cards were very simple - you just clean them up and apply the dye over the old color. Match was excellent.
Ohmes.BMW.3-2021-16.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan - I used a leather plus leather dye to change the color of my seats and door cards. With the leather, you need to condition the leather and remove as much of the old dye as possible. On the other hand, the door cards were very simple - you just clean them up and apply the dye over the old color. Match was excellent. View attachment 145138
Yeah I've used dye before with really good results. Your interior looks amazing.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wanted to work on the car....Legends coming up...BUT need to complete this pillar project.

Attachments

• IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 121

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan - I used a leather plus leather dye to change the color of my seats and door cards. With the leather, you need to condition the leather and remove as much of the old dye as possible. On the other hand, the door cards were very simple - you just clean them up and apply the dye over the old color. Match was excellent. View attachment 145138
Nice! Those seats look like you could drive forever, I mean, as long as you can afford the gas....;)

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Purpose of the diff carrier square piece?
Ouch, it became mis-aligned with the differential swap.
I like the way it looked... Seriously, Bob, I don't know on this one, I do all kinds of wacky stuff.

Engine strut bar coming soon.
Functional, not so much: Under hood jewelry without a doubt.

RP

Last edited:

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ouch, it became mis-aligned with the differential swap.
I like the way it looked... Seriously, Bob, I don't know on this one, I do all kinds of wacky stuff.

Engine strut bar coming soon.
Functional, not so much: Under hood jewelry without a doubt.

RP
View attachment 145178
More muffler clearance.

RP
Hello, you are doing very nice work and you are good on every part that you are restoring, please help me out about the speedometer black paint mine are cheept out and I have to repaint it, what kind of paint I can use to be a same like a ring black pait

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello, you are doing very nice work and you are good on every part that you are restoring, please help me out about the speedometer black paint mine are cheept out and I have to repaint it, what kind of paint I can use to be a same like a ring black pait
Candia, thank you for the kind comments.
I like Krylon semi-flat black paint. I'll get the part number, it is no longer available at hardware or Walmart stores (I've not checked at Amazon, I'm not an Amazon fan.)

For the "wrinkled" look, the paint from VHT is fantastic. Again, I'll get you a part number .

RP

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Candia, thank you for the kind comments.
I like Krylon semi-flat black paint. I'll get the part number, it is no longer available at hardware or Walmart stores (I've not checked at Amazon, I'm not an Amazon fan.)

For the "wrinkled" look, the paint from VHT is fantastic. Again, I'll get you a part number .

RP
Hello, and thank you so much for your time, is this the paint you are talking about please check.
Best regards

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Put down some leftover soundproofing, installed the side trim panels, and put in the rear seats.
I don't know why, because NO ONE has EVER sat back there., and I don't think that's gonna change.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone have a source for some decent seat covers for the rear seats. Mine are totally cooked, and I'm can't really afford to reupholster them.

Attachments

• IMG_9410.jpg
    IMG_9410.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9413.jpg
    IMG_9413.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9415.jpg
    IMG_9415.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 109

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Put down some leftover soundproofing, installed the side trim panels, and put in the rear seats.
I don't know why, because NO ONE has EVER sat back there., and I don't think that's gonna change.

Since we're on the subject, does anyone have a source for some decent seat covers for the rear seats. Mine are totally cooked, and I'm can't really afford to reupholster them.
I faced the same expensive reupholster problem. There are instructions on this forum on how to retrofit e24 seats to your coupe .

Find some e24 seats (and center arm rest) re-dye the seats as needed, install and go!

I’m really happy with the results and very thankful for the help of other members and their tips/encouragement.

Last edited:

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sometimes the easiest things bring such joy....and Pain! UPS truck pulled up with my my allen wrenches from Wiha, thank you Chris M for the recommendation. Of course I dropped everything else I should have been doing and put them in the clam shell. As I stood admiring how nice they looked I noticed for the first time the trunk latch was not strait. The trunk has always closed but it takes a firm push. I figured this would be quick fix to straiten it so I pulled out my socket wrench set and took it off, cleaned it up and put it back on straight. Easy project done fast right? Nope now the trunk would not lock closed... had to spend another 10 min figuring out how to get it in misalignment it again to make it close!

Attachments

• IMG_4308.jpg
    IMG_4308.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 105