What are the odds?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Took the family and the CS for a road trip this week around much of our lovely island.

IMG_0637.jpg

This is Spring Beach where we have a shack. Some idiot parked in front of the view!

Then we went to Devonport and stayed here:

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Took the family and the CS for a road trip this week around much of our lovely island.

View attachment 78971

This is Spring Beach where we have a shack. Some idiot parked in front of the view!

IMG_4671.jpg

The entire trip between these two places is 350km and it rained the whole way and I mean rained. Had the wipers on full and lights the whole way. 1km from home the car quit and had to be pushed off the road. Turned out the battery had drained as the voltage regulator couldn't keep up with all the current being drawn down.

Had my mum come and bring us a jumper pack to get us on the road her local BMW garage, which of course was closed!
As I pulled up an oder gentleman seemed to be paying us a lot of attention before wandering over.

"I've got one of those as well."

'WHAT!'

After getting the inside word on where to find a good sparky at 3pm on a Friday arvo he said I'll call you tomorrow and you can come over.

This is what I found:

IMG_4672.jpg
IMG_4677.jpg
IMG_4679.jpg

Turns out it's an unrestored 74 CSi. Looks to be all original under the bonnet with original carpets and a load of paperwork in the glove box. Has been off the road for some time but I'm told it competed in the first couple of Targa Tasmania's in the early 1990s. I have the Vin but it's not in the registry.

After doing some blockies in my CS he's going to get it back out on the road again.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 78971

I do have a very very soft spot for Ceylon, looks spot on with the wheels and csl dam

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 78972

The entire trip between these two places is 350km and it rained the whole way and I mean rained. Had the wipers on full and lights the whole way. 1km from home the car quit and had to be pushed off the road. Turned out the battery had drained as the voltage regulator couldn't keep up with all the current being drawn down.

Had my mum come and bring us a jumper pack to get us on the road her local BMW garage, which of course was closed!
As I pulled up an oder gentleman seemed to be paying us a lot of attention before wandering over.

"I've got one of those as well."

'WHAT!'

After getting the inside word on where to find a good sparky at 3pm on a Friday arvo he said I'll call you tomorrow and you can come over.

This is what I found:

View attachment 78973View attachment 78974View attachment 78975

Turns out it's an unrestored 74 CSi. Looks to be all original under the bonnet with original carpets and a load of paperwork in the glove box. Has been off the road for some time but I'm told it competed in the first couple of Targa Tasmania's in the early 1990s. I have the Vin but it's not in the registry.

After doing some blockies in my CS he's going to get it back out on the road again.

Those stickers are original…like mine and not available in that form from all the "sticker" suppliers. Fastastic.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how you find these things.

Your photo is a calendar pic!

E9’s form an ionic bond. Once you own one, more and more will begin to gravitate towards you. Rust is also an ionic bond. Coincidence?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wes,

Lovely Island indeed. We spent three days a few years back driving around in Tasmania. Only saw one 'devil', however (at a sanctuary). Enjoyed our short stay VERY Very much. (and yes, it rained on us as well).

Gary

Honolulu

Reaction score
Just back from 2.5 weeks driving around much of the South Island of New Zealand with my wife. Coming into the mountains from Hokatika to Wanaka through the Haast Valley on NZ 6 we had a literal waterfall on the road, I though it was pretty cool but my other half was worried about something washing down from above. She was right, though there seemed to be little or no actual debris on the road. Whatta storm, though. It seems some areas get 10 meters or 394 inches of rain per year. But we get some 460 inches/year at Mount Waialeale.... Gary Knox might have seen some recently.

Have to admit we were in a right hand drive Corolla hatchback, all six foot six of me, with two cranky knees. Maybe I should re-think my preference for small cars, but we got 6 liters/100 km or about 39 mpg. That's better than my BMW bike but it won't do 160 mph either.

We visited a couple car museums but saw very few older Bimmers other than one 328 (!) and two 2002s.

Last edited: