What Airlines do you Avoid and Why?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I ask because:

1) My middle son flew Jet Blue to Miami and back. Both flights were delayed by over 8 hours with little communication and comp of a $200 voucher. I would have gotten him at Logan but it was not and 8 hour delay but 8, one hour delays.

2) I flew Jet Blue to Seattle, 2 hour delay in each direction, no communication, no compensation.

3) Wife and I flew Jet Blue to Indy. 2 hour delay because the first class attendant was running late to the airport, no compensation.

4) Oldest son flew Spirit (he is a grad student on a budget) to Portland Or. from Indy. On his way home, flight time changed 4 times in 24 hours, on his way to the airport, updated flight was on time. He missed that flight but was told there was another. The Spirit counter was closed, no listing for the alleged new flight could be found. Charged 100 bucks for missing his flight. Next day he repeated the adventure, 10 min before boarding, flight was delayed so he would miss his connection. They compensated him for the flight but he had to get back to teach a class, flew Delta home at another $400 (dad sucked this one up for the grad student who makes 24k).

Overall we all know the Airline industry is horrible with little consumer protection but Spirit and Jet Blue are no longer allowed in our household. Jet Blue once was decent but not anymore.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spirit is on the rocks financially since their JB merger fell through. I'd like to add Frontier to the must-avoid list - seems like there are no humans on the customer-relations side of things to deal with their chronic delays and run-arounds.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was a road warrior for a couple of decades. The trouble with this thought process is that it changes over time. I was a huge fan of United in the 1990s. Then they managed to get sideways with their unions, the workers were very unhappy, and their service went way downhill thereafter. To this day, they still suck.

Where I live I have to make peace with Delta. They are good for now, but who knows.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was a road warrior for a couple of decades. The trouble with this thought process is that it changes over time. I was a huge fan of United in the 1990s. Then they managed to get sideways with their unions, the workers were very unhappy, and their service went way downhill thereafter. To this day, they still suck.

Where I live I have to make peace with Delta. They are good for now, but who knows.

Similar for me, I traveled a lot for work between 2003-2017, luckily it calmed down. I just got a small promotion and will be traveling a little more but mainly the West Coast. I will fly Alaska as much as possible, the only airline I have any confidence in.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
totally different region being in the EU, but here we are protected by mandatory compensation. That greatly helps reducing the really bad examples of the past.

The EU Air Passengers Rights Regulation 2004 is a law on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding, flight cancellations, or long delays of flights. It requires compensation of €250 to €600[3] depending on the flight distance for delays over of at least three hours, cancellations, or being denied boarding from overbooking. Delays shorter than three hours means no entitlement to any compensation of any kind even if the delay was classified as non-extraordinary. Airlines must provide refreshments and accommodation where appropriate. The Court of Justice of the European Union has interpreted passenger rights strictly, so that there are virtually no exceptions for airlines to evade their obligations for breach of contract

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will be flying Frontier in April from the Trenton, NJ airport, yes there really is one, to For Meyers. Frontier is cheaper by hundreds over flying out of Newark or Phila. And the airport is 30 country road minutes from my house.

So, what should I be prepared for in terms of service, ho ho, and related surprises. I have flown once in the last five years + and that was from another regional airport, Allentown, Pa) to Ohare. Pretty seamless that one.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Choice of airline for me was based on schedule or perks. When I lived in the SF Bay area I flew United a lot, when I relocated to the Phila. area I changed to American because PHL was a hub.

I am happy not be on the road as much now that I am retired.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have never flown Jet Blue or Spirit. SWA only if necessary. United has the rudest crews and I have avoided them for years. Delta is the best airline hands down. Korean Air is good. If I never get on an airliner again, I will be happy.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
when you live in ATL, you are in Delta's home town. they are very good at matching fairs with competitors on routes that the smaller airlines travel. as a person who has flown almost 2 million miles on Delta (and their alliance) and almost 1 million on Lufthansa ... i do NOT care if i ever fly again.

the most important thing to do is to support which ever airline supports your market and gives you the best access to connections. the more their are, the more competition they have - keeping their prices sharp.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
rs, so a million miles on Lufthansa, you must be fluent in German by now just from sleeping in those German seats. A bit of language osmosis.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
rs, so a million miles on Lufthansa, you must be fluent in German by now just from sleeping in those German seats. A bit of language osmosis.
i understand enough just to be dangerous. i keep my headphones on listening to music. i had a really good travel agent who used to get me upgrades to 1st with a business class ticket.

@boonies, i have never seen cup holders on most airlines. in any class. now i haven't flown internationally in 5 years.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, it was a few years ago now, in the early 2000s, my wife and I were on a wine tour to Tuscany, and our return flight, via Lufthansa, was flying out of Siena. We were there on time, but the aircraft had some mechanical issue. We all had to deplane. They kept us informed. They were working on it. Then, and this is something my wife and I will never forget, was the announcement that :"Repair has been made, time to leave is now!" The airline realized that most of the passengers on that flight were not flying to Frankfurt, but making connections to their final destination out of Frankfurt. There was no time for a delay. In our case, we were flying back to Vancouver, B.C. We could feel the urgency with which the pilot drove that aircraft towards its destination, which arrived on time in spite of the repair time that had cut into any leeway for wind, weather for whatever.
At the conclusion of our flight, I commended the pilot with the best possible accolade I could muster under the circumstances, and told him he flew that jet the way Michael Schumacher would have driven his Ferrari to get to the checkered flag. Never have seen a smile that big!
Oh, the wine was excellent as well. ;)

Mike

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The airport you‘re flying out of plays a roll IMO. I’ll vote for Alaska as one I like. Just flew them today Portland to Newark. (On a Boeing 737Max) Since moving to Portland full time in 2022 we fly back to NJ 3-4 times a year. It used to be United but I’ve switched to Alaska. I can’t recall a delayed flight. They support Oregon wine industry by allowing a case of wine to be checked as baggage at no extra charge.:)

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
- Southwest used to be great when I flew often the line San Jose to San Diego.
- Alaska is good.
- Copa has a great route for South America, one stop only in Panama and about an hour, that matters more than service.

- I boarded Copa in Panama to realize the third passenger in our row was really, what can I say, big, heavy, and wide. No way I can fly 8 hours with a person overflowing into 50% of my seat without hurting my back. I went to the front and asked if I could buy an upgrade, anything, but asked them please do not do anything to shame this person about his weight, just solve it here away from my seat. They nonetheless came to my row and offered my wife a different seat, I felt so bad for him, it was obvious she was being moved because of him. I did not know how to apologize, he ended up being a nice person and took it great. What a burden to carry poor guy every time he flies, I was humbled.

- Once I tried to get a refund from Lan Chile due to an unplanned surgery, I asked them what medical document I needed for a refund. They replied: "a death certificate"...

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Air France is the worst I have ever flown on They lost my luggage for 2 days going to my destination and lost it forever on the return. Lost one had over $4k worth of goodies and they paid $1700 even with a detailed list AmEx covered an additional $500

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I have been travelling far more than I'd like for the last 4 years, and so far nearly every experience with American has been a complete mess. Delta has been my go-to when given a choice because at least they have been mostly reliable.

In terms of averages, American is averaging about 10% on-time arrivals and departures for me over ~30 flights. Delta is averaging about 90% over ~150 flights.

thedazeofrain

Reaction score
I travel a lot for work and I avoid Alaska for the most part. I say that because last year I had more flights than I can count have issues with mechanical, delays, missed flights, you name it. They used to be my go to, but now I tend to fly Delta (on a Delta flight as I type this). Accuracy and consistency is crucial and Delta delivers.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I stick to Delta for domestic flights over 500 miles. KLM for ALL of my international flights to Europe exclusively. Less that 500 miles I fly myself. I believe that many of the airlines mentioned above are second or third rate and fly at the margins. I never thought that flight is thing that should be done at the slim end of the margin. As such, I don’t think it’s a good place to be bargain hunting. Margins usually show up on landing, takeoff or somewhere in between, at 36,000 feet. Do you want to fly the lowest bidder?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Might I be the only person on this board to fly, actually going to fly, Frontier? Should I be worried?