Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
<edit>In my personal opinion as a forum member...</edit>

This thread is going nowhere fast and has zero value to the forum.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Architects here? I think they've already gotten rid of Master Bedroom. It's now Primary Bedroom.

Craig Bower

Reaction score
I keep expecting substantial changes to the plumbing code addressing fixture calculations being clouded by the current gender neutrality policies.
"Primary Bedroom" in a new one on me, but I haven't done any residential work in quite some time.

We are getting way away from our classic BMWs here.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Carburetors are ahead of their time! At least they have 'primairies' and 'secondaries'...cant see anything wrong with that.

(but I'm Dutch, and we are generally very direct, and not very sensitive.

I dont mind some humour here, even if you have to go look for it.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That would the best choice I agree.
I was thinking of Push-Pull like is used in amplifiers, but it is not really accurate as both cylinders are pushed.
Compress and Expand?

Speaking of carburetors, a German friend told me the German word (vergassen) has probably even more sinister connotations than master-slave.

I've seen "input cylinder" and "output cylinder" for clutch hydraulics. Actually more descriptive than "master" and "slave".

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
"Rock" & "Roll"

or more related

"Wind" and "Storm"

but seriously quite popular terms is

"primary" and "secondary"

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I used to work in Video production, a connector to join two video cables was always called a Lesbian. We needed a lot of Lesbians most shoots.

jmackro

Reaction score
Back to the BU engineering student. I'm sort of troubled that people who say they are studying engineering are actually spending their time on this sort of thing. I'm not saying that this sort of thing isn't important - perhaps it is - but how can you be serious about engineering and have time for this?

Can you imagine interviewing this kid for a job?

YOU: So this position involves designing a dam that will protect thousands of people who live downstream. It requires some familiarity with soil mechanics, fluid dynamics, and structural analysis. What education and experience do you have in those areas?

STUDENT: Well, none actually. But let me tell you how I cancelled the terms "master" and "slave".

YOU: Uh, maybe you should be talking to the people in our sales department. Or public relations. Or anything that isn't mission-critical.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Back to the BU engineering student. I'm sort of troubled that people who say they are studying engineering are actually spending their time on this sort of thing.

I don't think it's either/or. There are lots of bright engineers that can do more than one thing. ;)

jmackro

Reaction score
There are lots of bright engineers that can do more than one thing.

That's not quite what I was saying - sorry if I wasn't clear. My concern is that the US engineering curriculum is being dumbed down. Reading the alumni newsletter from my own engineering school, I've observed that what passes for "engineering" today includes stuff like cancelling "master" and "slave". I strongly doubt that engineering students in India or China are encouraged to pursue this sort of activity or even have the free time to do so.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's not quite what I was saying - sorry if I wasn't clear. My concern is that the US engineering curriculum is being dumbed down. Reading the alumni newsletter from my own engineering school, I've observed that what passes for "engineering" today includes stuff like cancelling "master" and "slave". I strongly doubt that engineering students in India or China are encouraged to pursue this sort of activity or even have the free time to do so.
I read somewhere recently that China graduates more engineers per year than there are in total in the US. Hard to get my head around that. I also read that lawyers in the US yearly bill the equivalent of the GDP of India. (heard that several years ago, so probably no longer the case)