water pump replacement

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was on the last leg of restoration of my 72 Bavaria. Entire cooling system redo, hoses, radiator, water pump. I pulled everything so the water pump was easy but in retrospect cannot see it replaced without removing the radiator due to fan clearance issues. Have others replaced the pump without removing the radiator?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I order to unbolt the fan you'll want to remove the radiator, it's very easy and quick to do and not worth risking damage to the fins doing it with the radiator in place imho.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With the newest one bolt spin on water pump you shouldn't have to remove the rad. I have the prior version with the bolt into a nose on pump, rad has to come out.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
One bolt spin on WP. Part number or pictures?

Other thing here is the double pulley on the WP. I've seen some with and without. Is this random or year based?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have to have double pulley, one is for Alt, other drives from crank and PS unit.

Pump has bolt between pump and clutch, prior version has bolt on the nose between clutch and fan. PN 12519070761 for pump, 11521723027 for clutch URO brand from Dons post a couple years ago, it provides more clearance. AutohausAZ has them.

My original automatic 2 row core never goes above 4:00 and it gets hot here, I don't need a 3 row core.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I just read your post on belt clearances BTW and feel better as my alternator is only about 4-5 mm from my PS belt. Thought I must have gone wrong somewhere as I did not recall their proximity a while back when I disassembled everything. This is the same set-up as my e24 and I have experienced the "triple play" where one belt takes out the other two.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And rebuilt Alternators usually come with a new pulley which may interfere with PS belt, I kept my original pulley because of this. Amazing how close they are.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Other thing here is the double pulley on the WP. I've seen some with and without. Is this random or year based?

There is an "upgrade" to the belt system where you can replace the single pulley on the crank with a double pulley (for a total of three pulleys on the crank - one is already part of the dampener). One belt drives AC, one belt drives PS, and one belt drives water pump/alternator. The idea being this takes some of the stress off the alternator shaft. This setup requires only a single pulley on the pump. Perhaps this is what you have seen.

Attachments

• EnginePulley.jpg
    EnginePulley.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 233

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have seen that only on the E9's and just thought it was the way it was designed rather than an upgrade. In all honesty, it is only and upgrade if it allows you to make other upgrades or there is data to indicate a WP will live a longer life. At age 42 and only two water pumps, anecdotally, having the pump and alternator linked doesn't seem to be an issue. The double pulley downside is that it puts the fan so close to the fins that the radiator has to come out to do anything.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tis a beautiful thing, should make it your holiday card for next year!

WP pulley is the same as my 72, the alternator supports are very different, they are merging into what my e24 looks like.

Last edited: