WANT TO BUY: The Very Best 3.0 CS

Driven

Reaction score
Greetings BMW Enthusiasts!
I am new to this forum and hope you can help me find an EXCEPTIONAL 3.0 CS. I hope to find a bone stock, small bumper car that has had a recent, concours quality restoration. Please help me find the best example out there.
Thanks,
Mark

iconoclast6

Reaction score
An already well sorted, concours level coupe is certainly a viable choice for those who prefer to pass on the enjoyment of a restoration.

As such, I would add that you check on owners/coupes that have appeared at Concours or otherwise notable events around the country: 1) Legends of the Autobahn in Monterey, 2) Vintage at the Vinyards in North Carolina, 3) Limerock Sunday in the Park in Ct. or 4) Greenwich Concours .... to name a few. Some owners may not know they want to sell, until a suitable offer is proferred...

In addition to Coupeking, you may also want to check with The Werk Shop in Chicago and VSR1 in NH or Carl Nelson in San Diego among others, for leads on cars & owners who may be receptive to an informed buyer.

Last but not least is our very own e9 board and e9 driven registry. A careful & diligent review of these sources should provide valuable information and leads.

Good luck...

TodB

Reaction score
restored cars

Do not take it on blind faith that whoever performed the restoration did it right. Restorations always start off with the best of intentions and flush budgets, but half way in, unanticipated surprises can happen and short cuts are required to preserve the budget and, in many cases, the marriage of the bill payer. At that point, it really does not matter who is doing the work. ITs how it gets done.

So regardless of who you buy from, including all of those shops who have been suggested in this thread, its really important to see and have documented proof (pictures) of the restoration process and have it reviewed by someone who is familiar with these cars if you intend to buy one "done". Know what you are getting and don't get sucked in by the shiny paint and sexy lines. Know and have proof the resto was done right or at least know what you are getting.

Beauty is only skin deep. Paint can be used to cover up a lot of short cuts.

Trying to be diplomatic :)

Last edited:

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Hey Mark,

Alan and Tod make essential points: 1) how much do you expect to pay for "the very best 3.0 CS"? and 2) don't simply go by the look of the car without sufficient process verification.

Forgot to add additional sources: Matt McGuinn of Sports Car Restorations in CT.
Paul Cain's 3.8 restoration odyssey and Alvin Tan's Jabberjaw were also covered extensively
and can be used as primer that could be helpful.

Driven

Reaction score
Thanks

Your suggestions are very helpful. Thank you very much for your leads and direction. TO THE HUNT!!!
Mark

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you are serious

Your suggestions are very helpful. Thank you very much for your leads and direction. TO THE HUNT!!!
Mark

The safest way of getting your money's. Worth:
Buy a good starter car thru vsr1, or Casey Motorsports.
They will steer you to a good one.
Then write a big check and wait one year.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
For example

Mario has a black car (vsr1.com see cars for sale) that is at his shop and that he is quite familiar with. The advantage to you is that you know what you're starting with and hence the time and effort to create exactly what you want is more deterministic.

I always hear people say, "buy the best you can." The problem is, most of us do not have the ability to look past a really nice paint job. You can't see how well the sheet metal was restored, or if it was properly cleaned or if the inner cavities were treated with a self etching catalyzed primer, etc. If you talk to reputable restorers, you'd be amazed at the percentage of really gorgeous/restored cars the encounter that end up needing to be redone because they were just really thick lipstick on a pretty ugly pig.

I just saw a gorgeous, fully restored CSL. Except, there was a whole list of things that weren't correct on it ... some of which require repainting to fix.

My personal belief is that it's better to buy the best "starter car" you can, and have someone trustworthy do a full on restoration for you.

Can you occasionally find a very well restored car that's selling for less than it would cost to duplicate? Of course, as long as there's full documentation of what was done, the restoration shop is one of the few good ones, and that shop is willing to tell you the full and unadulterated truth about the restoration. Again, you're likely better of taking to the owners of these shops because they know where all their best restorations reside.

John

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That one was bought and sold quite quickly. There is a post about it a few months ago.

Driven

Reaction score
More Thanks

You guys continue to have great insight and willingness to help. Thank you so very much. I am following all of the leads. I'm sure you will point me to a great example.

Many thanks,
Mark

Driven

Reaction score
I am located in Auburn Hills Michigan, but I will travel anywhere in the country for the right car.

I need to find a "bone stock" example of this car. There are some beautiful examples of modified Coupes out there and I'm sure there is good justification for the engine swaps and suspension upgrades but I want it the way it was delivered from the factory. Yes, its a tall order, but that is what the hunt is all about.

Thanks again!
Mark

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, with patience you will find the right car. Just be ready to get on a plane. Took me a couple of years and I was no longer seriously looking when the right car presented itself.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Says 73 but seats and seat belts are all 74 vintage, no badges on trunk, missing wiper arm on driver side, green paint on washer bottle, black air cleaner and you hate to see clothes dryer hose used for the air intake! For $75K I would expect more attention to the details.