Walter Becker has passed away!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steely Dan has lost its spectacular guitarist!
What a band, amongst the best ever.

RIP Walter Becker

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steely Dan was always the reference music we put on to test someone's new stereo equipment purchase back in the day

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's to Walter: "Drink scotch whisky all night long, and die behind the wheel...." Well, not the last part. At 67, he was way too young. We all should live large.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sad to see musicians we grew listening to pass on, was lucky to see them in concert for their Aja album

TodB

Reaction score
Steely Dan was always the reference music we put on to test someone's new stereo equipment purchase back in the day
Agreed, with Aja being the Gold standard for speaker and stylus comparisons. Still my go to group to play in the car on longer drives. I listened to a 4 hour "set" on the way to Asheville last Spring. A huge loss.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was Music Director at Seton Hall University radio station, WSOU, in 1980 when Steely Dan released "Gaucho" the follow-up to "Aja". The album came with a letter from the record company requesting that we not play a full album side or the record in it's entirety as to discourage the recording of the album over the radio. Times have changed.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What an illustrated group we have here.
We too are 'reeling in the years' age wise.
Although I grew up in India where western music was hard to come by then, Steely Dan was sure to be rocking us whilst we were up to 'no good' teenager stuff!
Brilliant music even today!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw Steely Dan a couple of years ago. Saw so many old people in the audience.....then realized they were my age or a bit older. Amazing show.

italiangerman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also saw Steely Dan only a couple of years ago with Steve Winwood opening. Fabulous evening.
The thoughts mentioned above about sound quality makes me wonder if I should dust off and tune up the old beautiful Denon turntable.
Anyone else taken the pain to return to vinyl or are the ears so shot it doesn't make a difference?
Even so, nostalgia is probably worth something.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also saw Steely Dan only a couple of years ago with Steve Winwood opening. Fabulous evening.
The thoughts mentioned above about sound quality makes me wonder if I should dust off and tune up the old beautiful Denon turntable.
Anyone else taken the pain to return to vinyl or are the ears so shot it doesn't make a difference?
Even so, nostalgia is probably worth something.
Yes, been thing of plugging in the old turntable for months now. This is the final impetus. SO looking forward to the memories. :)