VT: 1970 2800 “CSL” Racer - $40K

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This looks a bit rough, but fun as hell!

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-bmw-2800-cs-to-csl-race/6678351406.html

F8E746AD-2917-4A5E-BC5A-EDA25AB425A6.jpeg

80C1723A-FB5C-4B43-81BC-4DF3DA76E53A.jpeg

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Somebody's going to pick it up quickly at or near that price, though I doubt you can replicate the "street legal" in all states. (Helluva barn also).

Bavman

Reaction score
noted Alfa quad spider in background, this person could be deranged....Car looks like a pretty good deal

Al

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And there’s an enduro/trials bike back there or maybe a flat track, which would confirm derangement.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The more that I look at this car the more
I realize how good of a deal it is. That is a lot of race equipment plus the s38 on an aftermarket EMS. I wonder if the cage is certified?

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Street legal but only runs on race fuel and with the triple plate clutch - would you have to be legally insane to buy this as a street car?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i agree Eiremon , those race clutches don't allow any slippage ! it's open or closed , no playing allowed ! full attack :D
I tryed once that setup.... easy getting on the trailor was already to "much" for that clutch ! i have again a normal one….

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i agree Markos… but is this a S38 ? My S38 had the oil filler in front.....

Oh man don't send me on a scavenger hunt! :D I don't know much about these engines. It's a multivalve variant of the original M30 engine. :) I know that there are about 5-6 M88/S38 valve covers. Major differences between the M88 and S38 due to the timing chain. BMW also seems to enjoy moving the oil filter cap on their engines.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
not only the oil filler cap Markos… on a S38 the individual ignition coils on plug are under that extra top with the 4 screws , as you can see in my picture .
Earlyer engines (M5) had a distributor and 1 coil…. which is here replaced by a coil pack.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great...thanks, Markos. Now my afternoon will be spent daydreaming of roaring up the front straight at COTA and thru the esses out of Turn 2 in this car.

Maybe me and Peter C can combine forces on this one? :)

c221dd03a1217fcadd908a3fa36967a5.jpg

Ed Z

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
if that car was here in Belgium for that price…. it would already be in my garage ! :D
would change to a M88 with webers....
Wheels are CCW i think , i have the same on my race Porsche 928.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cleaning up the rockers and some black chip guard and re fastening the air dam with some not painted over fasteners would do wonders. Very cool car.