Very nice, very expensive

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure why, but E9s seem impervious to tasteful mods. Like Porches.

Try doing that on a Pagoda Merc or Ferrari.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

my wife likes when i add things or make tasteful mods to my porch(e) ... my Porsche friends, that's a different story altogether - most of them are traditionalists.

Dohn

Reaction score

That attitude is a big part of the attraction for me in buying an E9. There are lots of collector cars for which an incorrect hose clamp is a cause for public flogging, but I don't find the same level of anality among BMW collectible owners. We tend to enjoy our cars as part of a continuum of wonderful machines, and a clever or practical upgrade that doesn't diminish the beauty of the original (door speakers not included) is readily accepted by most owners. We all appreciate the 100 point restorations, and they are the $100K+ cars, but we readily accept improvements that help facilitate doing that for which our cars were made: DRIVING! Can I get an amen?

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree completely. My car is far from stock with mods such as fuel injection, a 5 speed with a short shift kit, recaros, zebrano wood (with the speaker hole filled), etc... and that horrible console! (sorry DQ) It's great car to drive and people seem to love it. Most of my BMW friends and I believe the right mods can actually make a car more valuable.

The car I restored before my coupe was a last year pagoda. A very correct car with all of the documentation from new including the window sticker from Beverly Hills Mercedes. The only thing I changed was the steering wheel to a Nardi. I went to one show with that car and many of Mercedes folks were upset with me changing the steering wheel. Life's too short for that kind of negativity.

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"The car I restored before my coupe was a last year pagoda. A very correct car with all of the documentation from new including the window sticker from Beverly Hills Mercedes. The only thing I changed was the steering wheel to a Nardi. I went to one show with that car and many of Mercedes folks were upset with me changing the steering wheel. Life's too short for that kind of negativity"

Vince, you are absolutely right there. I too have both, E9 and a Pagode. The MB forum is full of 'unfriendly to change' nerds!!!!! I too have the Nardi wheel and the Gertag 5 speed box, I would had have to go incognito to a get together least I come back, verbally beaten up.

The BMW scene is completely different with folks enjoying their upgrades and sharing where when and how.
The MB guys seem to be waiting to tear someone apart who doesn't conform to 100% originality.