Vent Window Removal Tips

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I was dimantling a car, and discovered that some of the older info on the site is not quite spot on.

The attached photo shows the window with rod with the flat oval loop at the bottom. You remove the rear-most of the cluster of bolts below the vent window along with the adjacent Phillips head screw. The flat loop is stuck pretty firmly in a slot in the opening mechanism. S,o you can fit a small to medium Phillips head through the opening where the bolt used to be inside the loop to pry the vent window upward out of the slot.

At the same time, the vent window must be about 1/3 of the way open. The photo shows the underside of the opening that the flat loop must pass through in the trim. The angle is not 45 degrees as in older posts, more like 30.

Good luck!

Scott

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 145
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 137

pmansson

Reaction score
Vent window mechanism

I remove this (letting it "slip" down into the door).
Then the vent window is much more free.
Usually it can be pushed down, again in the 30deg position, against the rubber seal, to free the pin in the pivot on the large frame.
Once or twice, I have had to drill out the rivets securing this pivot/hinge, in order to extract the vent window.
To get the window back in place, I always install the mechanism first as pushing the window down into the mechanism requires some good pressure. The fit has never been very good, even though I pry open, slightly, the gap in the mechanism.
The latter is made of a weak metal alloy, and has broken once or twice.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
cmplement to this

in this thread:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13485&page=3

070320135124_zpsd70ee733.jpg

this is the mechanism that holds the triangular window and rotates it open and close

the system consists of a cilindric part that is able to hold the triangular window frame rod, the holder has an evident M8 bolt, and a not so evident plate that is fixed by a clamp and a bolt (you can see the back of the clamp in the previous picture (a black tab only), and the bolt is in between the grease in the next pic),

the PO mechanic was not smart enough to figure out about the second fixing point so you can see how he destroyed the holder. it still works, but is a piece of s**t

you can guess there will be something else by the second, and smaller hole in the plate, it is evident for a skilled guy isn´t it ?

070320135123_zps48ceb288.jpg

gwittman

Reaction score
I remove this (letting it "slip" down into the door).
Then the vent window is much more free.
Usually it can be pushed down, again in the 30deg position, against the rubber seal, to free the pin in the pivot on the large frame.
Once or twice, I have had to drill out the rivets securing this pivot/hinge, in order to extract the vent window.
To get the window back in place, I always install the mechanism first as pushing the window down into the mechanism requires some good pressure. The fit has never been very good, even though I pry open, slightly, the gap in the mechanism.
The latter is made of a weak metal alloy, and has broken once or twice.

Are you saying it may be possible to remove the vent window without having to drill out the rivets while the frame is still attached to the door? I am preparing to replace the seal that fits between the vent window and triangular frame. I have a spare triangular frame and a vent window. Someone overpowered the vent window and broke off the bottom lever. I have been studying these to help make a plan of attack on this project.