Vent window glass replacement

pmansson

Reaction score
I went through the tedious task of changing the glass.
Why? Because like most non-CA cars?, the chrome on these thin frames were of poorer quality than the large frames into which they mount. With good quality chrome on the door/window frame it looks crappy to have the vent window sitting in matte, worn down chrome mounting frames.

I then let a car glass shop install the new tinted glass in the frames. It ended up leaving small apertures in the top, acute angle as well as the bottom, right-hand corner of the frames.

I suspect that he had let the glass "sink" more or less to the bottom of the frame, rather that have the black stuff acting as a wedge at the bottom, thus pushing the glass upwards, avoiding the small aperture that we now have. I beleive he used too soft black stuff. The old one, which I removed with lots of screwdriver work, was quite hard, from age perhaps but probably from being harder when new too?? My guess only....

Has anybody got any light to shed on this, odd, part of E9 restoration work??

pmansson

Reaction score
It turns out that the newly manufactured vent window glass is slightly misshaped.
I have had this confirmed by the supplier.
I therefore took the old glass and had the shop mount it in the frame with an old-style seal. It now looks and performs as intended.
Bottom line: use the old glass (which has the small lettered inscriptions rather than the much bigger and brighter lettering of new (not NOS) glass.