Value of E9

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
well Dan, you are in a unique situation - a 911 for the wife, that you get to drive occasionally and a coupe for you.
I also get reminded about the project 69 911T that I bought for the company I work for. $500 because the owner had to move and ran out of time. I had a tow truck there in 20 minutes! :cool: My wife said, "Buy it! Buy it!" (from my company). I passed. This was about eight years ago right before the market went crazy.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i like the '65 to '69 short wheel base 911. you should have bought it. had a friend that had one of the first 911L - titled as a '65 but delivered in '64 instead of the 356 that the customer had ordered. very fast / free-revving car. a friend down the street had a '67 912 ... he didn't even tell me he was going to sell it. aargh ... i think he sold it for 7500

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
it has the rain gutters in the trunk that sit below the rear windshield.

Whoa this one is news to me!
C80AAB5D-A9A4-4468-AB46-73CC632952D0.jpeg

shanon

Reaction score
Hello from an 'Austrian '69er '(#2202577)
Mine was also originally Polaris but has evolved over its life time. It's PO's, including myself, have taken some 'sporting liberties' and I did remove the Federal side markers when I repainted it.

Neat to see an early example illustrating E9 production 'evolutions'. Curious if you know its original delivery location/country?

Gruppe: Anybody know about when in production they switched to ashtrays on the door and eliminated the rear window gutter 'reservoir/plumbing'?

I'd suggest, If you haven't already, a letter to the BMW Archives/Heritage group asking for the original production and delivery info to include with your sale info/package. It's fun to learn about and knowing your cars provenance. It will only support your sale.

GLWS!

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wish they had continued the drains in that member under the rear window. That's exactly where my car has rusted through. I'll have to recreate both ends of that piece. It's nice to have a good photo of what they are supposed to look like.
Drain under the rear window.jpg

ggus

Reaction score
Hello from an 'Austrian '69er '(#2202577)
Mine was also originally Polaris but has evolved over its life time. It's PO's, including myself, have taken some 'sporting liberties' and I did remove the Federal side markers when I repainted it.

Neat to see an early example illustrating E9 production 'evolutions'. Curious if you know its original delivery location/country?

Gruppe: Anybody know about when in production they switched to ashtrays on the door and eliminated the rear window gutter 'reservoir/plumbing'?

I'd suggest, If you haven't already, a letter to the BMW Archives/Heritage group asking for the original production and delivery info to include with your sale info/package. It's fun to learn about and knowing your cars provenance. It will only support your sale.

GLWS!
Hi Shanon,

Ill into get the original production and delivery info from BMW but the car was imported by a U.S. servicemember in the early 90s to to the states so I am assuming its was delivered in Germany.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
It sure looks like a decent car from the pics.
Good luck with the sale. Do search for the old paperwork, not only is it interesting, but is also helps your sale as it all adds up to originality; that can't be rebuild .

@deQuincey : you were looking for I fo on how the doorjamb plaques were numbered last week or so: notice how here the karman body numer is stamped into the plate? This is the first time I've seen it.
I hadn't seen this before, but it feeds the thought that early cars have it this way .

Screenshot_20221023-233647_Samsung Internet.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It sure looks like a decent car from the pics.
Good luck with the sale. Do search for the old paperwork, not only is it interesting, but is also helps your sale as it all adds up to originality; that can't be rebuild .

@deQuincey : you were looking for I fo on how the doorjamb plaques were numbered last week or so: notice how here the karman body numer is stamped into the plate? This is the first time I've seen it.
I hadn't seen this before, but it feeds the thought that early cars have it this way .

View attachment 150491

Wow, thank you

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting, never seen before by me trunk caddy. Is it original, sure does not resemble all the others I have seen. If original it could be a unique selling point. Minor but gets the attention of lookers like me.

Steve

ggus

Reaction score
HI guys, I finally located the all the original maintenance service records, and it includes the original receipt of the purchase of the car in Germany. Does this increase the value of the car? I never added to the maintenance folder because I have only used Don in Oakland CA. to work on my E9 and it was just a hand shake agreement. take a look.
20230514_203956.jpg
20230514_204015.jpg
20230514_203925.jpg
20230514_203909.jpg

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think that a solid trail of service records increases the value of the car for many reasons.
Having the car under SFDon's care also increases its value, I assume you have a log book or pictures of the work done by Don
as Don may not remember every car when a prospective buyer calls for reference.

Having said that, 1970 service records alone, with recent gaps lasting years do not mean much other than that a good car may have fallen into neglect...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think service records add a lot to a car's value, and the fact that you have had a good mechanic for a long time should also add to your car's value. I would ask Don if he would be willing to speak to potential buyers about your car. I've called a handful of mechanics when looking at cars and I find it valuable.

Be advised, however, that I always ask whether the customer does the work that the mechanic recommends, or tries to delay necessary repairs.

Jon B

Reaction score
HI guys, I finally located the all the original maintenance service records, and it includes the original receipt of the purchase of the car in Germany. Does this increase the value of the car? I never added to the maintenance folder because I have only used Don in Oakland CA. to work on my E9 and it was just a hand shake agreement. take a look...

But those papers are for 2000CS Nr. 1107896, not a 2800CS... ?

ggus

Reaction score
But those papers are for 2000CS Nr. 1107896, not a 2800CS... ?
I know, but that's the paper work that came with the car. Maybe in when the car was purchased in "67 it was sold as 2000CS? the car is a "69, so it would have been the newer model. I have no idea. I'll have to go through the papers and try to find matching numbers or something.

the chassis and engine number are on the forms, I'll check to see if they match my car.