Value of 2800CS drivetrain

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I am debating on keeping vs selling the original engine out of my 2800CS. My car is modified with an S38 and if or when I sell it, what do you suppose the value is of making it available to the next owner? I have the complete engine an

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary,
The intrinsic value of keeping the original engine along with the car is far more than the price you’d get for it. If you ever sell the car, the fact that you have the complete and original engine/ matching numbers will be a strong argument/ deciding factor for the next owner. Part of the provenance. Call it a trophy if you like.

Keshav

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm in this situation with a '73 2002tii. I replaced the seized engine years ago but kept the original in storage. My logic is, if I have space to keep it I will, just in case the next owner of the car wants it.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Any TII engine, even seized, has several unique parts that make it worthwhile to retain. They won't get more available, ever.

OTOH, a "plain old 2.8" has next to nothing, other than a matching number, to distinguish it. So the value is only that... the matching number, so keep the block if you're enthused to. As Teahead suggests, it'll never be worth anything except to the next owner, and chances of that are marginal at best.

Who, ever, would replace a S38 with a M30B28, even when/if the former has croaked? I don't see anywhere that the "matching numbers" craze has hit the BMW market.

Still and all, I have the auto trans. torque converter and flywheel that I took out of my car after it wouldn't find reverse, and I freely admit it has negligible ongoing reason to exist, only that it's a heavy lump and deeply darkly buried, as well as being difficult to legally dispose.